Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Can Lupus cause low blood oxygen levels and fast heart beat?

Discussion in 'Immunological' started by Peyt, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Peyt

Peyt Senior Member

Hi,
    Can Lupus cause low blood oxygen levels and fast heart beat?

2. Thinktank

Thinktank Senior Member

Europe + Asia
    With lupus anything is possible. If there's pulmonary and/or cardiac involvement i think a low blood oxygen level and tachycardia is possible.
    Do you suffer from lupus?

Kati likes this.
  3. Peyt

Peyt Senior Member

I am not sure.
    I am going to see my ND tomorrow whom I have been working with for a couple of months. He has discovered that I have low oxygen (around 96-97) and faster than normal heart beat. (around 100-103). I also get headaches all the time and
    have SIBO and gluten sensitivity.
    He also discovered my low B12 which I have been getting shots for.
    I also have dry and itchy skin and excess mucus since I was a kid.

So I was thinking of asking him to test me for Lupus Anti-bodies.

4. ShyestofFlies

ShyestofFlies

Be sure to test for sjogrens/sicca syndrome as well

Misfit Toy likes this.
  5. Thinktank

Thinktank Senior Member

Europe + Asia
    @Peyt , if lupus is suspected you really have to see a rheumatologist for proper testing and diagnosis.
    Do you have any of the more obvious lupus (SLE) signs? Like a butterfly rash on the cheeks, lesions, hair loss, fever, painful joints etc.?

What do you mean by lupus antibodies? Do you mean AntiNuclear antibiodies (ANA)?
    This can be negative in some cases of lupus. To check for lupus and other conditions a rheumatologist will probably also do the following diagnostics.
    C3
    C4
    CBC
    ESR / CRP
    Anti-ds DNA
    Anti-SM
    Anti-RNP
    ANti-SSA/SSB
    ANCA (maybe also MPO3 / PR3)
    Liver profile (albumin, AST/ALT etc.)
    Urine analysis

6. Kati

Kati Patient in training

96-97%O2 sat is not abnormal. Hospitals start to worry below 92. People start being incoherent or cognitively challenged below 88%

Your heart rate can be elevated for several reasons, but in our patient population (ME) the main reason is Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome.

In Lupus, the lungs can be attacked by the auto-antibodies and usually it manfests by pleuresy, inflammation of the lung membranes.

The lupus diagnosis criteria requires the presence of the Double Stranded DNA antibody. There is a test for that.

7. Thinktank

Thinktank Senior Member

Europe + Asia
    @Kati, Anti-DsDNA can be negative in SLE.

According to a study i read a few months ago negative anti-dsDNA with positive Anti-RNP/Anti-SM is seen in the most benign subgroup of SLE. This group is Less susceptible for renal involvement, more susceptible for serositis.

8. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

Yeah, but some of us react to anything under 98% with tachycardia. I have exactly the same problem.

9. Peyt

Peyt Senior Member

After reading your comment I looked into sjogrens and this also seems like the symptoms that I have.

The only symptom about sjogren that I don't have is decreased mucus/nasal secretions. In fact I have the opposite. I have excess mucus and nasal secretion. I have had the deviated septum surgery 3 times due to excess mucus accumulating and causing sinus infections. This had been happening since I was 2.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  10. Peyt

Peyt Senior Member

Okay I am back from the ND. Here are the tests he wrote:
    ANA
    C Reactive Protein, Ultrasensetive
    C-Peptide
    CBC with Diff
    CK
    Complement C3
    Complement C4
    Comprehensive Metabolic Panel
    Glycated Hgb, A1C
    Insulin, Fasting
    Lipid Panel, Basic
    RBC Magnesium
    Vit D 1,25 Hydroxy level

Does this cover Lupus or Sjogerns?

11. ShyestofFlies

ShyestofFlies

My general rule of thumb is if you have 75% or more of the symptoms for a disorder it's worth investigating to at least rule out or in. Since there is approximately 50% or more symptom overlap with sjogren's and some forms of lupus, the great imitator, and the blood tests are usually on the same panel "rheumatological blood workup" it is worth investigating despite lacking some symptoms. Can I ask, who or what pointed you in the direction of lupus?

My personal diagnosis is currently undifferentiated connective tissue disease which is what they call it when you have symptoms of an autoimmune connective tissue disease but they don't have specific enough test results to specify which one(s). My rheumatologist believes my tests point to a possible lupus or sjogren's diagnosis in the future, but the internet says very few cases of uctd develope into another disorder.

Anyway they say excessive salivary production can be an early sign of malfunction in the salivary glands which can later develope into dry mouth, which is a symptom of both lupus and sjogren's (as well as a side effect of many many medications).

I suggest you call your ND and request if they can mail you and get a prescription for:
    • Anti-dsDNA (antibodies to DNA)
    • Anti-RNP.
    • Anti-Smith (Sm).
    • Anti-SS-A (also called Ro).
    • Anti-SS-B (also called La).

12. Justin30

Justin30 Senior Member

Do you have a copy of this article. I tested positive for the RNP and ANCA A-TYPICAL Staining. No ANA though....

If you could help great if not thas fine.

Thanks

13. Thinktank

Thinktank Senior Member

Europe + Asia
  14. Justin30

Justin30 Senior Member

Thank you very much!

See more popular forum discussions.