1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Ergonomics and ME/CFS: Have You Hurt Yourself Without Knowing It?
Having a chronic illness like ME/CFS can make it hard to avoid problems that come from bad ergonomics. Jody Smith has learned some lessons the hard way ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Can Kefir colonize the gut?

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by Adster, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Adster

Adster Senior Member

Australia
    It seems "normal" probiotics can't colonize the gut, is there any solid evidence that Kefir can? I've seen claims, but that's about it.
  2. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    What would make kefir different from other probiotics?
  3. Adster

Adster Senior Member

Australia
    I don't know. Yeasts perhaps? Maybe the bacteria can only colonize in symbiosis with certain yeasts. Just speculation of course.
  4. xchocoholic

xchocoholic Senior Member

Florida
    Hi,

I'm with you on the symbiotic nature of yeast and bacteria. The scobies in my kombucha were
    extremely virulent. I had to kill them with bleach. Nothing else worked.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but can you tell me why you're using the term "colonize". I'm assuming bacteria and yeast follow
    the food as it moves through our guts and don't actually hang out where there isn't any food. No food = death.

Also, are there any studies on this ? I just can't imagine anyone proving this .. But I could be wrong.
    Lol ..

I kept meaning to look at what function yeasts have in our guts but got side tracked. I'm assuming it has a
    purpose tho. We know s boulardii keeps c diff under control.

Tc .. X
  5. Adster

Adster Senior Member

Australia
    My understanding may be incorrect, but I'm under the impression that as soon as you stop normal probiotics that just contain typical bacteria, then you will not have any lasting changes. I think studies have shown that the bugs in these supplements can't "stick" to the intestinal tract and "make a home". Conversely, if you have a series of fecal transplants, the bugs will stick and colonize after treatment ceases.

I'm wondering if Kefir can do the same thing.
  6. xchocoholic

xchocoholic Senior Member

Florida
    I copied this is from a private message board .. I don't know how privacy issues work I'll give you the link if this person says it's ok and you need it.

7. Adster

Adster Senior Member

Australia
    Thanks XC, interesting. Frustrating that the treatment was unsuccessful for them though, it can't be a fun experience!

See more popular forum discussions.