1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Can hypothyroidism/adrenal fatigue mimic CFS?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by drob31, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Community Support Volunteer

USA
    There is definitely a clear viral connection in my case but cannot say this is so for everyone. I have no info re: swine flu but have heard anecdotal info of people getting CFS after having vaccines.

2. SOC

SOC Senior Member

USA
    PEM (aka PENE) is not just fatigue, or even delayed fatigue. It includes "prominent" neuroimmune symptoms and exacerbation of flu-like symptoms.
    From the ICC

Exercise intolerance is a different symptom:
    PWME can have both exercise intolerance and PEM. However, few, if any, ME/CFS patients can tolerate any cardio exercise because of problems with our aerobic metabolism.

Exercise intolerance can result from many different conditions including thyroid and adrenal problems. If you think you have exercise intolerance rather than PEM, I suggest you ask your doctor to investigate causes of exercise intolerance. There are known treatments for many causes of exercise intolerance, while there are no established treatments for PEM, so it's worth looking into exercise intolerance if you don't get prominent neuroimmune and flu-like symptoms after exercise.

drob31, Valentijn and Gingergrrl like this.
  3. drob31

drob31 Senior Member

Thank you for the thorough explanation. Exercise intolerance does seem to describe it more accurately, except for the delayed fatigue factor.

SOC likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.