• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can Gene Mutation Change After Birth?

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
I was referring to B cell reshuffling. Just because there are are changes does not mean it will have an impact on general health. Unless there is some basis for this shuffling to occur in other cell types? It will alter immune response to pathogens and other antigens by broadening the possible responses.

What you seem to be saying though is that due to differential replication a mutation might become a major factor over time. But again, I do not see this having an impact that is outside of its immune function.

One thing that I wonder about though is if there are other rapidly dividing cell types for which mutation might have a more profound effect because the cell multiplies. Indeed your answer suggests this might be the case, as a mutation in some rapidly dividing cell types might substantially increase in numbers and start to have an impact.

Is it possible that bone marrow stem cells could mutate and multiply enough to have a major impact? How about cells in the gastrointestinal lining? Skin cells? If a tissue has high cell turnover there is potential for differential replication, and this does not have to mean cancer. Indeed I suspect that this is what many benign growths might be.

It was nothing complicated Alex, simply that somatic mutation is the basis of all B cell responses - whether autoimmune, or, as possible in this case, allergy. As you know, every B cell has a unique set of translocations and many have additional mutations. The resulting plasma cell clones retain these.

alex3619

Going back to the original question, there is a special case in which mutation can indeed be aquired, but only during early fetal development. A mutation somewhere later in development, but before a child is fully formed, might spread throughout much of the body. This creates what is called a mosaic, though usually that term has a slightly different and specific meaning (to do with gene silencing). Its only if the mutation leads to formation of mutated germ cells that it is heritable. Once a child is fully formed, with all tissue differentiation and organ development essentially over, then mutations cannot spread. So again its unlikely an adult would suddenly develop a widespread mutation.

alex3619

It was nothing complicated Alex, simply that somatic mutation is the basis of all B cell responses - whether autoimmune, or, as possible in this case, allergy. As you know, every B cell has a unique set of translocations and many have additional mutations. The resulting plasma cell clones retain these.
Yes, I appreciate that. We had lots of lectures on this in biochem. Yet the question in the first post goes to mutations causing major changes. Unless the changes in the gut are immunological, and by this I include allergy, I do not see that it might have an impact. I would also not like to call it a mutation in the general sense.

A very great many other factors might have an impact, from change in diet and gut flora, nutrient or micronutrient deficiency, pathogens, alterations in control mechanisms, etc. etc. Mutation is not what I would consider to be a likely factor in sudden adult-aquired alterations in gut function. This of course presumes that allergies have been ruled out.

Now chemical sensitivities are another topic entirely, and not mutation related except in the sense that some snps might predispose toward some types of sensitivities. I wonder if we should discuss those.

PS And of course ruling out all allergies really only means ruling out allergies for which we have tests.

kel88

@Gondwanaland intressting post! I did also got problems after my pregnancy maybe there is a connection! I did found out that with every gen mutation there is a little change in the gut with bacteria thats correct! I think that there are factors that can activate it! Thanks for tagging me gondwanaland!

@Valentijn with all respect but where do you get youre info? Online as well i think? I got my info also online! So i dont understand that as anyone also read medicall postings why that should not be correct only when you find it?
So i dont agree with you all the time, so what?
My Englisch would not be so good as yours but i also do medicall research and we are here to help each other and share all the good thing whe found right?

kel88

Ohh and also about CBS ( or my BHMT or other mutations)... I also got sulfursensitivity. Only when i take vitamin B6 (P5P form). Only i cant live without B6.
When i take sulfur i got pain in the back feet hands sooo much pain. When i dont take sulfur i dont have that problem!
Gondwanaland what problems does youre husband have when he take sulfur? Does he eats all the time sulfur free? And has he got also CFS/ME?

kel88

Gondwanaland did your husband also did a test at 23andme? What where hos SNP"s?
I also got depression and diarrhea.
The only thing that helped me is Depyrrol ( high amout B6, Zink and maganese). Then the diarrhea and depression went away!

The thing that helped me for al my pain is taurine. But i did stopped it when i saw my SNPs .. Weird that the things that i should not take work the best..

He can also try it...

Had youre husband also MTRR mutations? And a1298c ?

Gondwanaland

Valentijn

@Valentijn with all respect but where do you get youre info? Online as well i think? I got my info also online! So i dont understand that as anyone also read medicall postings why that should not be correct only when you find it?
So i dont agree with you all the time, so what
The problem is that you don't yet understand much of anything regarding SNPs, genes, and proteins. That's to be expected at first, but it's important to not overestimate what you do know, and to provide incorrect information. I've also taken several online Coursera courses involving genetics and bioinformatics, as well as research and statistics. These have been very helpful in expanding my understanding and in correcting my misunderstandings.

When it comes to reading the research, it gives a fairly clear picture of how it can reasonably be interpreted. I've read the papers which Yasko bases her CBS claims upon, for example, and her interpretations are simply 100% wrong. There is nothing to debate, because there is no rational way to use that research to support her claims. And there is quite a bit of research contradicting many of her claims, which again is very straightforward. The result is that medical advice is being propagated which has no rational basis for being helpful, and which there is some indication that it might be actively harmful as it could lead to raised risk factors (elevated homocysteine) for some diseases.

It's not a matter of "agreeing" or having valid differences of opinion. It's a matter of science, and the science is pretty clear. And you don't seem to understand yet how to discern what science is saying regarding SNPs.