• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can D-Ribose cause extreme tiredness?

soxfan

Well...I found a jar of D-Ribose that I had bought about a year ago. I had tried it in the past and don't think it did much for me but decided I would give it a try. I took a scoop this morning in my coffee and within about an hour I felt so tired I could hardly keep my eyes open.

Even now about 6 hours later I feel so sleepy. Is it possible that the D-ribose caused this? I am sitting here struggling to stay upright. It is like I have taken a sleeping pill and need to go rest.

I looked online and it said if you have low blood sugar then yes...this could happen. I don't think I have low blood sugar...I mean it has always been on the low side of normal every time I have been tested but never below normal...yikes

adreno

PR activist
D-ribose can cause low blood sugar, maybe try it with food. Or perhaps it revs up the mitochondria more than they can sustain (perhaps a defiency of q10, carnitine etc)?

soxfan

I had oatmeal about an hour later but the tiredness was so overwhelming I finally had to give in and lay down...Now its about 8 hours later and I am still pretty fatigued feeling...ugh

rosie26

Perhaps try half a scoop Soxfan and see how you go, it might be enough for you. Have it with food.
I know someone who just takes it once a day and it has been very helpful. I take one scoop twice a day as I really need it. I have it with breakfast and dinner.

I haven't had excessive sleepiness on D-Ribose, it gives me a little bit more energy and seems to reduce some inflammation in my body. I have noticed it has also taken a good edge off the horrid nausea I used to get. Which has been interesting.

Hope you are feeling a bit better now.