A New Decade of ME Research: The 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry presents the first in a series of articles on the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Can Celiac Disease Affect the Brain?

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Gemini, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Gemini

Gemini Senior Member

East Coast USA
    Autoimmune diseases of the brain & neurological symptoms associated with celiac disease, NY Times review article 10/12/14:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/12/opinion/sunday/can-celiac-disease-affect-the-brain.html

Center of research on "neurological autoimmunity" at the Mayo Clinic & neurologist Sean Pittock mentioned:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/biographies/pittock-sean-j-m-d/bio-20054032

He's connected to Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons, Ireland. Anyone know if he's familiar with ME/CFS?

"The Mayo Clinic is on track to run 140,000 tests this year for autoimmune disorders of the brain, about a 20 percent increase over last year."

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
    BadBadBear, xchocoholic and ahmo like this.
  2. xchocoholic

xchocoholic Senior Member

Florida
    Great info. Thanks. It frustrates me that the info on gluten sensitivity / non celiac has been on the web since at least 2005 and they're not sure if it's real. 2014 - 2005 = 9 right ? Lol.

It was great to see that so many people trying it tho. I hope people know to give it at least 1 year and avoid gluten cc.

Tc .. x

3. Martial

Martial Senior Member

Ventura, CA
    I think its pretty well known knowledge that celiac disease can affect the brain. Some people get poor blood flow to the brain and other crazy neurological issues if they accidentally eat some gluten.

See more popular forum discussions.