• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can antibiotics be used before a lab test to help diagnose an autoimmune disease/virus

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I believe an 'antibiotic challenge' is sometimes done to flush Lyme out of hiding, which is obviously a bacterial infection. Cant see any reason why ti would work for autoimmune or viruses as antibiotics don't have any effect on these illnesses

Tired of being sick

The reason I ask is, I'm on Cefalexin for a urinary tract infection and it is aggravating my CFS/ME symptoms..

So I was thinking of getting an extensive lab test to see if Cefalexin brought my illness out of hiding and it seems to me that my CFS/ME or ? is very pissed off and teeing off on me like no other..

zzz

Almost all antibiotics have effects on the central nervous system unrelated to their antibiotic effect. The magnitude of the effects varies by antibiotic and from person to person, but they can easily aggravate ME/CFS symptoms in susceptible people. I'm currently at the point where I can't take any antibiotics that have adverse reactions due to CNS effects - and that includes just about all of them.