• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can an infected tooth cause fever,chills, felling extremelly ill?

notmyself

hi, sorry for the off topic,this might not been related to ME/CFS..i have a very bad wisdom teeth,it s almost completelly eaten by cavity..From yesterday i start having pain there after a long time,the pain is tolerable,but the rest of symptoms are awfull,i don t remember the last time i was so tired,my whole body burns and ache, and i have a 38 fever wich is 1,5 extra from usual temperature, the gums around the tooth are swolen aswell..Is the fever a normal response for a tooth infection? .can a tooth really cause whole body aches and ehxsaution?back in the past when i have tooth problem, it caused just pain there and maybe headeaches,but nothinh like this...

ljimbo423

Is the fever a normal response for a tooth infection? .can a tooth really cause whole body aches and ehxsaution?

Hi notmysef- Yes, a tooth infection can cause these symptoms. Here is a link to a thread that "Ian" started. He found out that an infection in his jaw caused his CFS. He had it treated and he no longer has CFS!

Here is a quote from WebMD

Dental abscess symptoms
Symptoms of a dental abscess typically include pain, swelling, and redness of the mouth and face. With an advanced infection, you can suffer nausea, vomiting, fever, chills and diarrhoea.
https://www.webmd.boots.com/oral-health/guide/dental-abscess
https://www.webmd.boots.com/oral-health/guide/dental-abscess

Jim

Misfit Toy

For one year I walked around with an infection in my one tooth due to a root canal that went bad. I don't trust root canals personally. After a year, my whole face was swollen and especially the one cheek. I could barely turn my head. That whole year it was infected and that whole year I was so sick and with a headache on the side that it was infected. I was tired, always aching, emotionally off, etc. I can say from personal experience, once I had that tooth removed, my health improved drastically.

notmyself

i just arrive back from the dentist,i'm a little surprised by what the doctor told me, he told me that the tooth is bad and need extraction,but he doesnt think i have the fever from that or the other symptoms,he said is just a coincidence and i might have a flu or other stuff going on..He said i should have been much more swolen for it to cause a fever..if wasn t the tooth , and is not a flu( i don t have a symptoms of flu )then what was?..from what i know ME/CFs or PEM doesn t come with high fever( 38.8 C)

Misfit Toy

@notmyself -when is the extraction? Did he give you an antibiotic? You should be on one. The extraction will give you the answer for sure. Hang in there...teeth issues can be the worst. This is a wisdom tooth so that means you won't see the extraction. Wisdom teeth should come out because they can push the other teeth forward.