1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Camel milk cure all?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by knackers323, Jul 26, 2014.

1. knackers323

knackers323 Senior Member

I've been hearing of some big claims as to the effectiveness of camel milk for everything from autoimmune disease to autism.

Anyone have any experience with it?

2. Kati

Kati Patient in training

Snake oil... Camel milk... See? :rolleyes:

ETA... Deer Antlers. Shark gallbladders.

minkeygirl likes this.
  3. knackers323

Y
    Yeah probably but apparently there is some science to it

4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Most of these strange notions have some science to them. It doesn't make them right. Snake oil for example has omega-3 fats. So many will benefit. Yet its not the panacea the nineteenth century quacks wanted us to believe it is.

Some science isn't enough. High quality science, replicated independently, is important for a reason. The stranger the claim, the better the science needs to be, at least up to a point.

I still think the cake goes to psychogenic theorists. Not only can they promote their own version of snake oil, but the very medical definitions they use are made up as well.

5. knackers323

Yep and that's why I asked if anyone has tried it

6. stevesayshi

stevesayshi

Camel milk is kinda like colostrum. If you can tolerate type 1 casein, I imagine colostrum powder will be cheaper (it should be less than 1 % casein protein anyway).

So it's not a completely bogus claim.

7. Hanna

Hanna Senior Member

Jerusalem, Israel
    @knackers323 , perhaps @redrachel76 could answer your question. She tried the camel milk in the past and had some minor benefit with gut symptoms if I am right.
    When I was in hospital after allergy to a bee-bite, I met two women who were having some success with it for psoriasis. They were drinking it and applying some topical cream too.

8. fibrodude84

fibrodude84 Senior Member

I have heard about camel milk benefits but now we would need to fear the new sickness MERS. Its coming from camels.

Kati likes this.
  9. Kina

Kina Moderation Team Lead

Ontario, Canada
    I did read an autism study which seemed to suggest that an intolerance to cow's milk causes autism and removal of cow's milk from the diet seems to clear symptoms. Camel's milk is different to cow's milk and therefore helpful to autism. The author goes as far to suggest to suggest that camel's milk cures autism but that is from anecdotal reports and unblinded, unrandomized research. Then I found a disclaimer regarding camel's milk re: 62 percent of autistic children react adversely to something in it, so it should be avoided. Who knows but the study has poor design and there isn't even any correlation shown because you can't state correlation from a study with such poor design.

I think any substance that is touted as a cure-all for many things needs to be regarded suspiciously. I tend to look at things in terms of specific symptom reduction -- can something help with pain, sleep, GI issues. Maybe the GI issues with camel's milk if you are lactose intolerant but at 18 dollars (quoted on one site) per pint, I would rather drink water.

Sushi, SOC and Valentijn like this.
  10. Hip

Hip Senior Member

One study on hepatitis B virus patients showed that camel milk is an immunomodulator which changes the immune system balance from the Th2 response to the Th1 response. The Th1 response is desirable in ME/CFS.

Note that Dr Cheney says Th2 to Th1 immunomodulators should be taken using an on/off schedule, otherwise they soon stop working. That is to say, you need regular breaks from taking these immunomodulators, or else their benefits disappear.

Camel milk has been shown to reduce oxidative stress in autism.

Camel milk contains interesting immunoglobulins which are ten times smaller than human immunoglobulins:

For the UK, this website tells you where you can buy camel milk.

Hanna and sueami like this.
  11. Kina

Kina Moderation Team Lead

Ontario, Canada
    Bottom of article re: Camel Milk: Healing or Hype?

Hanna, Sushi, SOC and 2 others like this.
  12. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

If I lived someplace where camels were common I might try it. But it seems to have a lot in common with various Amazonian wonderberries and extracts that come on strong and then fade away.

13. redrachel76

redrachel76 Senior Member

Israel
    I tried raw camel milk.
    It helped for about 6 months for my gut problems. After 6 months it stopped working. A friend without CFS also had gut problems improve for 6 months and then stop.

I also put on of weight with it, which is good for me b/c the severe IBS makes me thin.

It is a great source of vitamins +minerals if your gut is too bad to take conventional supplements. I suspect that is why it helped me.

Hanna likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.