• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Calls for Ibuprofen sales restriction

valentinelynx

Gel form skin-applied ibuprofen and other painkillers exist. I wonder if this would have any less effect.

Yes, Voltaren gel and things like the Flector patch generally don't cause the same problems as IV or oral NSAIDS because very little is absorbed into the bloodstream. Personally I like Voltaren gel (also available as generic now: diclofenac gel) a lot for hand pain.

Having said that, there are some exceptions. My father-in-law is limited in how much Voltaren gel he can use because it makes his blood pressure rise if he uses too much. However, he is 98 years old, so I imagine his skin is on the thin side (no kidding!) and so he absorbs much more than normal. And is more sensitive to the effects of NSAIDs due to age and infirmity. Although he's doing very well for being 98 with heart failure, COPD, diabetes, etc.!

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Yes, Voltaren gel and things like the Flector patch generally don't cause the same problems as IV or oral NSAIDS because very little is absorbed into the bloodstream. Personally I like Voltaren gel (also available as generic now: diclofenac gel) a lot for hand pain.
Having said that, there are some exceptions.
I experienced an unfortunate exception: Voltaren gel (used a couple times in a day on my back) triggered an episode of Afib! Damn, otherwise it was good stuff for me.