• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Call your U.S. congressperson: Sign the letter to stop NIH cut (deadline March 31)

AndyPR

Disappointing that, at the time of posting this, only @Valentijn and myself liked this post, would have hoped for a bit more interest from our American members.
President Trump is proposing to cut the National Institutes of Health (NIH) budget by $6 billion – or about one-fifth of the total agency budget. A cut to the NIH budget will almost certainly impact funding for biomedical research into Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).

Bipartisan members of Congress are circulating a letter that opposes this cut, and, instead, recommends that funding for the NIH should be at $2 billion above the 2017 level to adjust for inflation and the rising costs of biomedical research. The letter requests that the NIH be funded at $36 billion for 2018.

The letter describes the members’ value for the “critical role played by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in better health outcomes, job creation, education, and economic growth.

“At a time of unprecedented scientific opportunity, it is critical that the United States make forward-thinking investments that promote medical breakthroughs as well as our international leadership in biomedical research.”

Call your House representative and ask them to sign the bipartisan letter that supports funding for the NIH. Your representative must sign the letter by March 31st by emailing zach.bunshaft@mail.house.gov.

AndyPR

This has just been highlighted elsewhere but could do with being shared here
President Donald Trump’s administration has asked the House and Senate to approve immediate budget cuts of $1.232 billion for the NIH, $314 million for the CDC, and $40 million for the FDA for the current federal fiscal year.
In its budget proposal for FY2017, The Trump administration additionally proposed cuts totaling $314 million for five spending categories at the CDC. The five include public health programs, which would see $65 million less in FY2017 under the Trump administration proposal.

“This would eliminate or reduce less effective or duplicative research and disease-specific programs such as the Prevention Research Centers, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Cancer Registries, Prion Disease, Injury Control Research Centers, Climate Change, and Tobacco Prevention Research,” the budget proposal stated.

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
OOPS - I CONFUSED TWO ACTIONS! They are not the same. Sorry about that.

There are two different letters. The one I mention below is not quite the same as the one @Dolphin posted above. Both are about letters from Congress and about supporting ME/CFS research but not the same letter.

I have started a new thread here for the letter from Congress that I was talking about - http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...-sign-letter-for-me-deadline-april-4th.50422/

============

Thanks for the post! I called yesterday and followed up with an email containing details.

FYI, the deadline has been changed to April 4th. (I have updated the subject for this thread)

Full details are here:

http://www.meaction.net/2017/03/29/...-to-sign-letter-that-supports-funding-for-me/

Last edited:

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
@Dolphin, I'm so sorry for my confusion!! :oops:

I have re-edited the subject line for this thread.

Last edited: