1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Join the National PR Campaign for ME/CFS: Power to the Patient (P2tP)
Have you had enough of all the neglect and abuse of ME/CFS patients? Gabby Klein says now is the time for a National PR Campaign for ME/CFS to impress a change. Join the Patient Revolution to restore power to ME patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Calcium supplement hurting stomach?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Ocean, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Ocean

Ocean Senior Member

U.S.
    I'm not positive but I think my new calcium supplement may be hurting my stomach. I've had stomach problems this week and the only change I can think of is trying this supplement. It might be something else but I think there's a good chance it's the calcium. The one I take now is Thorne brand calcium citrate. Are there specific forms of calcium or brands that are easier on the stomach? Thank you!

2. xrayspex

xrayspex Senior Member

u.s.a.
    calcium can constipate you
    I stopped taking it even tho have ostepenia and my doc doesn't recommend it either, there is some research showing calcium can harm

try to eat calcium rich foods instead

merylg likes this.
  3. Ocean

Ocean Senior Member

U.S.
    I don't know if it's really been constipation per se. More discomfort. I'd like to be able to take a calcium supplement occasionally, so I hope I can find one that is more easy on the stomach. I can tell by how my fingernails respond that I could use some. They are so weak and brittle and get so much better after a little calcium.

4. xks201

xks201 Senior Member

Yup...excessive calcium ions will screw with the gap junctions in the intestines. In fact there is a whole theory stating that excessive calcium signaling is causing leaky gut in FM/CFS by opening up the gap junctions.

merylg likes this.
  5. Ocean

Ocean Senior Member

U.S.
    So no suggestions for calcium that doesn't hurt the stomach? No one here takes any?

6. xrayspex

xrayspex Senior Member

u.s.a.
    when I was taking it a few years ago I found that not taking tablets prevented stomach from hurting. I cannot remember brand that didnt hurt, but most capsules were ok, maybe it was Solgar, and chews and that sort of thing didnt hurt my gut, but all did constipate if used regularly.

7. Ocean

Ocean Senior Member

U.S.
    Maybe I'll try the chews once a week or so and see if I can tolerate that. Thanks Xrayspex.

See more popular forum discussions.