New Atmosphere, New Vision: Gibson and Whittemore Kick Off Invest in ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry reports on Dr. Gibson's introduction and Dr. Whittemore's keynote speech, at the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Calcium Lets T Cells Use Sugar to Multiply & Fight Infection

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by thegodofpleasure, Oct 15, 2017.

1. thegodofpleasure

thegodofpleasure Player in a Greek Tragedy

Matlock, Derbyshire, Uk
    I came across this thanks to Dr Derya Unutmaz tweeting about work done by his friend and collaborator, Dr Stefan Feske.

http://nyulangone.org/press-releases/calcium-lets-t-cells-use-sugar-to-multiply-fight-infection

How relevant is this discovery to the work done by Don Staines & Sonya Marshall-Gradisnik, which showed impaired Calcium signalling in the T & B cells of ME/cfs patients ?

Murph, Mel9, Helen and 12 others like this.
  2. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member

The other side.
    So I should get with the program and chow down on some bones right now? Milk? Cheese? Calcium, magnesium, zinc, copper, fish oil capsules?

Oddly, when I was on them, calcium channel blockers helped quite a but, with pain, which made me feel better and allowed me to be a smidge more active. Which appears to be the opposite of this.

Luther Blissett likes this.
  3. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

I read it as more calcium influx more Tcell profilation

4. Wonkmonk

Wonkmonk Senior Member

Germany
    But when immune overactivation, including T-cells, is part of the problem - as it may be for some patients - then more calcium is counterproductive.

In my case, calcium and Vitamin D in high dose massively worsened my symptoms and it got better after I stopped taking them. I read the same from several others in the Forum.

That would also be a possible explanation why calcium blockers help (assuming they also block T-Cells).

Hmm...so much speculation, so little knowledge :rolleyes:

Wonko, Starlight, pattismith and 2 others like this.
  5. GreyOwl

GreyOwl Dx: strong belief system, avoidance, hypervigilant

I don’t think this research relates to dietary recommendations @Wonkmonk. It’s describing research into a previously unknown mechanism in a metabolic/immune pathway.

6. Wonkmonk

Wonkmonk Senior Member

Germany
    But more calcium in the blood = more calcium goes into the T-Cells, no?

7. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards "Gibberish"

No. It has nothing to do with the amount of calcium in the blood - no more than you deciding to make a cup of tea has anything to do with the number of tea bags in your caddy. It is completely irrelevant.

8. Wonkmonk

Wonkmonk Senior Member

Germany
    Thank you for your explanation, Prof. Edwards.

If I may ask, what could be the reason why high Vitamin D supplements make some patients worse?

I have seen at least a dozen such reports here in the forum and in my case. And it happened three times over 2 years, each time I pushed Vitamin D over 35 ng/ml (which is in the middle of the range of my lab), I got considerably worse, and then better as I stopped taking VD.

nandixon and Starlight like this.
  9. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards "Gibberish"

I have no particular idea about that. But it does not surprise. The hypothalamus has a very sophisticated way of telling us what it wants and what it has had enough of. If you eat lots of fish you may well feel you would rather have some pasta. If you eat lots of chocolate you are likely to feel awful. I would to be surprised if eating more vitamin D than you need triggers the hypothalamus to say 'not more of those pills, for goodness sake'.

TrixieStix, Mel9, Inara and 6 others like this.
  10. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    This could be relevant to patients given that Mark Davis (Stanford immunology hot shot) has found proliferation of T cells in CFS*, a similar pattern to that scene in cancer, infections and Multiple Sclerosis - but not in healthy controls.

Proliferation of T cells usually means activation in response to a threat, hence the title "calcium let's T cells use sugar to proliferate and fight virus infections". Though Jonathan Edwards has cautioned that when others have looked at CFS they haven't found evidence for activation of T cells and something more complex might be going on.

Davis's work hasn't been published yet, but if it pans out and is replicated it's possible (And I'm just speculating here) that it could be treated using drugs that dampen down proliferation, such as the two mentioned in this piece.

Just to explain a bit more about the research:

The authors discovered a previously-unknown mechanism for controlling T cell proliferation, calcium flowing into cells and switching on the genes leading to production the enzymes needed to make use of blood sugar. This is needed to fuel fuels their replication and division, leading to a small army of clones.

When calcium enters the cell it activates an enzyme called Calcineurin that in turn activates the transcription factor, causing it to move into into the cell nucleus. Here it binds to DNA and acts as a master switch, turning on a set of genes that control production of the proteins the cell needs to make use of glucose and so power cell division and growth.:

Calcium >> gene activation >> glucose uptake and metabolising proteins >> energy tor proliferation

Cyclosporine A and tacrolimus, the two immune-suppressing drugs mentioned, block calcineurin from activatinng the transcription factor and so stops the cells from been able to access the energy they need to proliferate.

* dictated using phone voice recognistion, and you try getting it to recognise "mecfs"...

11. thegodofpleasure

thegodofpleasure Player in a Greek Tragedy

Matlock, Derbyshire, Uk
    Not if the route it needs to take in order to get into the cell, either doesn't exist or is blocked.

12. Aroa

Aroa

Spain
    Dr Derya Unutmaz is also tweeting this . Would this mean that T-cell clonal expansion is not due to an autoimmune process ?

Derya Unutmaz chart.jpg

See more popular forum discussions.