A New Decade of ME Research: The 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry presents the first in a series of articles on the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Calcium channel essential for deep sleep identified.

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Ema, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    Interesting research especially in light of all the other research suggesting channelopathies in MECFS.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...cedaily (Latest Science News -- ScienceDaily)

heapsreal, Simon, Valentijn and 7 others like this.
  2. Sushi

Sushi Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Very interesting! Thanks @Ema.
    This is me from my sleep study. I had 96 partial awakenings and no stage 3 or 4 sleep. My doctor also suspected problems with calcium channels.

anne_likes_red, nandixon and Sidereal like this.
  3. out2lunch

out2lunch Senior Member

Ditto. Bounced between Stage 1 and Stage 2, did a "drive by" through Stage 3, but never reached Stage 4.

Good doctor! Mine just focused on the apnea/hypopnea and prescribed CPAP. :sleep:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
    natasa778, catly and Sushi like this.
  4. Never Give Up

Never Give Up Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.

Ninety six partial awakenings!? OMG! That is a lot! Do you have much pain?

5. Sushi

Sushi Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Nope, only when I'm out of line from EDS problems and sometimes from general inflammation.

Never Give Up likes this.
  6. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

hmmm, I am not so sure about this, since they don't say (at least not in the article, haven't read the study) whether they tried removing other VGC channels. I wouldn't be surprised to see similar results with many of the others. Because losing or reducing the function of one ca channel could simply lead to different membrane potentials and effects, and maybe this doesn't necessarily have involve Cav3.1.

Sorry for nitpicking, not meaning to downplay this - def a super interesting discovery - but I would love them to now focus on the mechanism that lead to this effect and to figure out what other things (other membrane proteins and wider) could be involved and why (what possible causes other than knocking the gene out :), instead of down the 'It Must be Cav3.1' alley and getting stuck there.

Little Bluestem likes this.
  7. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

8. Never Give Up

Never Give Up Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.

Hmmm, that's very interesting.

I haven't kept up with sleep medicine during the past 18 years...can anyone suggest any studies to bring me up to the state of the art with respect to ME and sleep?

9. john66

john66 Senior Member

feW days ago. read about the fact when CFS patients get anesthesia sodium channel anaesthetic it can cause problems the only drug mentioned was sodium pentathol.
    also one of the Non pain drugs works on the potassium channel

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  10. valentinelynx

valentinelynx Senior Member

Tucson
    Irrelevantly and irreverently, I met Dr Llinas years ago (like 1995) at a Tucson Consciousness Conference, and I just love the man... he has a maverick intellect and is a charmer, too. Glad to see he's still at it.

11. valentinelynx

valentinelynx Senior Member

Tucson
    ?? Sodium pentothal (no longer available in US), works on GABA A receptors, which are associated with chloride channels, not sodium. Local anesthetics are sodium channel inhibitors.

12. nandixon

nandixon Senior Member

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015

See more popular forum discussions.