1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

calcium and magnesium together?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Sherlock, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Sherlock

Sherlock tart cherry etc. for joints, insomnia

Czechosherlockia, USA
    this has gone back and forth in the supplement world, so I'm asking here if anyone has thrashed out all the advice: do they inhibit each others' absorption? Thanks.

2. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    No, in a word. :)
    The body has a huge resource of calcium - in the bones. Calcium and magnesium ions are both essential for the creation of nerve impulses and all sorts of really basic and important body functions

If you start taking magnesium and that level rises, your body will "leach out", from your bones, enough calcium to balance the extra magnesium in your system - so if you are taking extra magnesium, you need to take a molecular equivalent amount of calcium - to protect your bones.

3. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States
    I've read different things about this. Some people say that magnesium increases calcium absorption when taken at the same time while others say that taking magnesium at the same time decreases calcium absorption. I've also read differing opinions about whether to take calcium and magnesium with food or on an empty stomach.
    It seems like if you're taking an adequate amount of Vitamin D and especially Vitamin K (in the form of K2 either MK-4 or MK-7 or both) you wouldn't have the problem of calcium leaching out of bones.

4. robertpcx

robertpcx

This piece by Dr. Carolyn Dean helps to explain how calcium and magnesium interact and work together. This piece came out sometime after the publication of the 2nd edition of her book "The magnesium miracle" in 2007 and includes additional info about magnesium. Different types of magnesium supplements and includes some of her own experiences with magnesium supplements and her search for the most absorbable form's of magnesium. It includes a list of foods high in calcium and foods that are high in magnesium.
    http://www.utahsportsandwellness.com/pdfs/ChangeMagnesium.pdf

Dreambirdie likes this.
  5. Dreambirdie

Dreambirdie work in progress

N. California
    Thanks robertpcx, for posting that link.
    Carloyn Dean has magnesium down better than anyone else I have read.

See more popular forum discussions.