• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Caffeine: helps, hurts or makes no difference?

Pen2

Support, Good Medicine.
I might have agreed with you at once up a time, however, when my heart was racing all of the time and causing me to feel light headed, my attitude towards caffeine changed really quickly. Decaf is better than no coffee at all. ;)
It doesn't seem to matter with me. I drink coffee in the morning cause I love coffee. I don't get any effect. But one around 4:00p helps me get a boost for a couple hours. I take it with my third Midodrine of the day.
I get no new effect on my heart.

Ysabelle-S

Highly Vexatious
As soon as I fell ill with the virus, I could no longer take caffeine. It caused neurological problems, shaking (I mean quite serious not mild tremors), and it was just thoroughly unpleasant. Also, the effect of taking it was like blowing a balloon up and then letting it go, while it flies around and the air escapes, finally going splat on the ground. That was pretty much the effect of caffeine on me. I could drink coffee before the virus no problem.

msf

Caffeine is not good for my gut, which is not good for the rest of my body. I have started to drink decaf (the good kind) recently though. One reason for this is that coffee is probably the principal way in which bile production is stimulated in Western people. So when I was unable to digest any fat after taking an antibiotic I found that a decaf coffee miraculously made this posible again! I ended up mainly using artichoke leaf tea for this, but recently I have started using decaf coffee more as it tastes a lot better! I think all these bitter substances have chemicals in them that the gut finds harder to digest, but I think the advantages (in terms of stimulating bile production) outweigh the disadvantages. Even if you have no fat digestion issues, it is probably a good idea to use something to stimulate bile production, as bile plays a role in reducing SIBO.

Ysabelle-S

Highly Vexatious
Forgot to say, decaff coffee still has caffeine. Not sure if all brands do, but I tried one and after two cups (I thought I was doing okay) it hit me. Same reaction again. So even decaff is out for me.

Pen2

Support, Good Medicine.
As soon as I fell ill with the virus, I could no longer take caffeine. It caused neurological problems, shaking (I mean quite serious not mild tremors), and it was just thoroughly unpleasant. Also, the effect of taking it was like blowing a balloon up and then letting it go, while it flies around and the air escapes, finally going splat on the ground. That was pretty much the effect of caffeine on me. I could drink coffee before the virus no problem.
Wow, you do have a serious reaction. Makes me wonder if I do have some symptoms but don't realize it's caffeine that's causing them. I have had ME/CFS for 17yrs knowingly and have always drank coffee.

Knockknock

Wow, you do have a serious reaction. Makes me wonder if I do have some symptoms but don't realize it's caffeine that's causing them. I have had ME/CFS for 17yrs knowingly and have always drank coffee.
Im up 4 it.. love the expresó the cafesito in the morning ..

Many years ago I had to stop drinking coffee because it was too hard on my GI system. I mourned the loss.

I was recently treated for Lyme with Doxycycline and saw an improvement in my GI function. Bonus: I can drink coffee with no ill effects. Things are looking up!