Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Caffeine: helps, hurts or makes no difference?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Johnskip, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Johnskip

Johnskip Senior Member

I think it's a double edge sword helps a little then crash harder

pattismith and HowToEscape? like this.
  2. mirshine

mirshine Senior Member

Dublin, Ireland
    It depends on how i'm doing. My head nearly always needs it. But sometimes my body is just too done already and can't handle the heart rate boost. Some days i manage 3 cups. On bad head days 4. Other days i'm lucky if i manage my morning cup.

Johnskip likes this.
  3. Hugo

Hugo Senior Member

I have some use of caffeine if I drink it like one or two days during the week. If I start drinking it every day, several cups or other beverages with caffeine its not good for me and then I get headache and loose energy.

Johnskip likes this.
  4. dr. Arf

dr. Arf

Amsterdam, NL
    3 cups a day, I do not think it is a mayor factor..

Mel9 and Webdog like this.
  5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge plodder

One cup at lunchtime (accidentally as I forgot to ask for decaf) a couple of weeks ago kept me awake all night horrendous wired feeling. Yuck

TigerLilea and Johnskip like this.
  6. M Paine

M Paine Senior Member

Auckland, New Zealand
    I think it helps during mild times, but not during heavy PEM. When really tired, have a rest instead.

Sancar, Mel9 and Webdog like this.
  7. Knockknock

Knockknock

I drink a small pure expreso innthe morning and seems to wake me up a little be, i make sure to jave my salt tableta d drink fluids to hydrate

Sancar and HowToEscape? like this.
  8. Dechi

Dechi Senior Member

I only drink decaf now. Does the job without the overexcitement.

Sancar likes this.
  9. Wishful

Wishful Senior Member

It doesn't help me. Caffeine never, even when I was healthy, seemed to boost my energy level. strong coffee would make me feel jittery (and nauseated), but not more energetic. I gave up coffee for a couple of years during this disorder, then had it again: no effect either way. I switched to decaf a while back because it was starting to cause insomnia.

NelliePledge and Dechi like this.
  10. Murph

Murph :)

I believe it can help the body deal with exercising/activity...

11. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member

Vancouver, British Columbia
    I'm very caffeine sensitive so I haven't been able to drink regular coffee for over 25 years. I'm okay with occasional cups of decaf.

12. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    I need tea and choc bars,I'm not sure there good for health but I like them.

mirshine likes this.
  13. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member

I got myself into a bit of a pickle with espresso, while I was first I'll. I ended up having 20 shots a day each with a heaped spoonful of sugar in each ....didn't really help. I'm now only on 2 shots first thing in the morning with d ribose and feel a lot better without all that caffeine. I could eliminate the last 2 since I have a good decaf alternative ... ...just heard that caffeine was supposed to be good in small quantities so kept this in.

mirshine likes this.
  14. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    I loathe the idea of caffeine free its like alcohol free beer,why bother

Pen2 likes this.
  15. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member

Vancouver, British Columbia
    I might have agreed with you at once up a time, however, when my heart was racing all of the time and causing me to feel light headed, my attitude towards caffeine changed really quickly. Decaf is better than no coffee at all. ;)

mirshine and arewenearlythereyet like this.
  16. arewenearlythereyet

arewenearlythereyet Senior Member

I'm with you on that and instant coffee (shudders) ....but the decaf one I've got for my nespresso machine changed my mind. It's the arpeggio decaf ...you can't really tell

mirshine likes this.
  17. Dechi

Dechi Senior Member

@wastwater I would agree with if you drink coffee specifically because of the effect of caffeine. In my case I also love the taste of good coffee. I can appreciate the taste of different coffee beans and my cup of coffee is a pleasure to drink every morning. We lose so much with this illness, coffee is one thing I decided to keep. I don't find being decaffeinated alters the taste.

Sancar, ladybugdreams2, Mel9 and 2 others like this.
  18. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member

I seem to tolerate the mild amount of caffeine in green and white teas well. I drink about 3 cups a day (mostly sencha green tea).

Some caffeine seems to help with my 2-3 hour wakeup period.

Sancar likes this.
  19. Dechi

Dechi Senior Member

@Webdog I have 2 unrelated questions for you : what do you mean by " 2-3 hour wake-up period " ? Do you mean you sleep 21 hours per day ?

Why are you diagnosed 84%-91 % ? Just curious, these are very precise numbers, and why not completely diagnosed ?

Mel9 likes this.
  20. tinacarroll27

tinacarroll27 Senior Member

UK
    I can't tolerate coffee and have never drank if for 20 years. Just smelling it gives me a really bad headache and makes me feel sick. I have a lot of food intolerances though.

See more popular forum discussions.