1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Mighty Egg: New Life Springs Forth Despite ME/CFS
Jody Smith finds that even with ME/CFS, new life as symbolized by the mighty egg, can still spring forth ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

C60 'buckyballs' in olive oil

Discussion in 'Alternative Therapies' started by Vordhosbn, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Vordhosbn

Vordhosbn

UK
    I couldn't find anything on this using the forums' search feature. I'm not sciencey enough to offer an interpretation, but I wanted to post here as you clever lot can probably get your heads around it.

After a rat study showed a 90% increase in lifespan, some people are experimenting with taking C60 fullerenes mixed in olive oil. There are a few positive anecdotes popping up and people suggesting its antioxidant, anti-viral, liver-protective, neuro-regenerative properties etc.

Can't find a good overview from a website not commercially related to the product. I did find this blog post: http://www.anti-agingfirewalls.com/2012/11/12/1424/

There is a section dedicated to it at the Longecity forum. I originally found it on Sarah Vaughter's site, and she has always struck me as quite scientifically rigorous.
    SickOfSickness likes this.
  2. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    It is quite interesting, but too experimental at this point for my taste.
    Waverunner likes this.
  3. invisiblejungle

invisiblejungle Senior Member

Chicago suburbs
    I actually bought some C60 from Sarah Vaughter and tried one dose. But like Adreno said, it's extremely experimental at this stage and there's so much we don't know about it.
    Waverunner likes this.
  4. Vordhosbn

Vordhosbn

UK
    Hmm, I think you are right. After reading more at that Longecity forum, I didn't realise just how daring some of the folks there are to experiment on themselves.
    Waverunner likes this.
  5. GhostGum

GhostGum Senior Member

Vic, AU
    Have been reading a fair bit on that forum about this the last couple of days, they have dedicated a whole section to it, seemed quite surreal and took a while to work out exactly what it was, because it seems nothing like a typical supplement or medication, it is simply speculation that the Buckminsterfullerene molecule has great healing/health potentials.

Many of the initial reports seem quite promising, a newer report here by the user Jehyst who has FMS/ME,

http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/57492-c60-experiments-home/page__st__1650

There is also an older discussion about it here where one of the researches and makers of the product chimes in,

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=45659

At least all the experimenters will lay the ground work for us, I am also not game myself as of yet neither but at the end of the day also realize when anything new is discovered, as long as it proves safe in animal studies, there will be some people who are the guinea pigs; had to happen with all supplements/drugs at one time.
  6. Unim

Unim

I tried C60 back in February and immediately experienced symptoms similar to sublingual B12, ie a sudden onset of folate deficiency symptoms (Hours not days).

After starting the C60 I suddenly developed cycling IBS-C/D and an extreme sensitivity to most supplements; not able to tolerate even tiny amounts of the most gentle forms of magnesium, calcium, vitamin C and many others. Selenium in particular now causes me back soreness. I can only currently tolerate B vitamins and betaine HCl. This has remained six months after ceasing it.

I think I may have triggered an underlying problem with glutathione, perhaps similar to the glutathione-induced folate deficiency some people experience. I am trying to build up my methyl-B doses, but am struggling due to no longer being able to toerate potassium or fruit juices. Taking betaine HCl three times a day is currently keeping the diarrhoea under control.

I have contacted a few people involved with C60, but they don't believe it can cause such effects. I don't have the energy to debate on the longevity forum and have no need to convince anyone there. Though the woman who sells it did agree she hadn't heard any success stories from chronically ill people, and indeed never claimed this.

I have heard from a couple of people who took this without any significant problems, though no noticeable benefit either. However, if one has a history of strong reactions to glutathione or methylation related supplements, I don't believe they should try this. I certainly regret trying it. I think I've learnt my lesson now ;)
  7. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    This might not be good for people harboring pathogens. It might be wise to let the healthy people be guinea pigs first.

See more popular forum discussions.