1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A Little Poisoning Along the Road to ME/CFS
Looking at my symptoms, many of which are far less these days and some are gone, it would be easy to figure that I'd just been dealing with some heavy-duty menopausal issues.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

BWG Phase Two Results - Webinar

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by jspotila, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Bob

Bob

South of England
    I've been hearing for some time that Kate Bishop is taking XMRV seriously, and is engaging seriously in XMRV research. I don't know much about her, but I don't think that she's like Professor Myra McClure who has been aggressively hostile towards XMRV ever since she failed to detect it. I think that Bishop realises that her negative results were not conclusive evidence of absence. That's my interpretation of what I've read about her anyway. If you look at her NIMR profile, she doesn't seem to be denying the existence of XMRV at all, but seems to be actively accepting and promoting its existence and engaging in further research, which seems pretty comprehensive...

Bishop even had a positive paper on XMRV published in March 2010...
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20194752

So, hopefully, she's on our side now...

I think that any research scientist who denies the existence of XMRV just because they can't detect it (i.e. Myra McClure), is going to look pretty ignorant and incompetent when the XMRV findings continue to be confirmed, as more studies are completed.

I'd never heard of the UK's NIMR (National Institute for Medical Research) until Bishop came to our attention. The website says it is funded by the MRC and tax payers (same thing).

2. jspotila

jspotila Senior Member

DHHS has expressed interest in the number of people who register for/attend the webinar as a way of gauging the community's interest in the BWG study. You can register here: https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/985931313

Show them we're interested! And (I hope) get answers to questions arising from yesterday's presentations about the study.

3. George

George waitin' fer rabbits

South Texas
    Hey JSpotila are they going to count the number who "register" or the number who "connect" to the webinar. Cause a lot of people would probably "register" that have really slow dial up connections and wouldn't be able to "connect". So is "register" like a vote or do they have to "connect" too???

4. jspotila

jspotila Senior Member

I don't know for sure, George, but I encourage everyone to register. There is always attrition between the number who register and number who connect, whether for dial up or other reasons. Err on the side of impressive numbers and register!

5. VillageLife

VillageLife Senior Member

United Kingdom
    really excited what time does this start in UK?!! thanks.:hug:

6. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

Switzerland/Spain (Valencia)
    Should be at 6 pm London time
    And 7 pm CET for the rest of Western Europe

7. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Hi Jennie - I think it's a great idea to show the DHHS that we're interested - wondered if you wanted to start a thread on the Action/Alerts subforum specifically about getting people to register.

8. jspotila

jspotila Senior Member

Done, Sasha! Great suggestion!

9. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Great! Hope we make a big splash in numbers!

10. ggingues

ggingues $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

Concord, NH
    I signed up even though I will be at work.

GG

11. RivkaRivka

RivkaRivka Senior Member

I'm on but hear and see nothing. is anyone else on the webinar and getting nothing?

12. jspotila

jspotila Senior Member

I got nothing. Still waiting for the organizer. They are probably having tech difficulties on the back end.

13. RivkaRivka

RivkaRivka Senior Member

okay! i got it now!

14. RivkaRivka

RivkaRivka Senior Member

i think it is kim talking. she said 457 people pre-registered for this!

15. RivkaRivka

RivkaRivka Senior Member

the recording and slides of this talk will be posted online within 1-2 days

16. LJS

LJS Insert Witty Comment Here

East Coast, USA
    They generally do this withing the day of the presentation.

17. RivkaRivka

RivkaRivka Senior Member

is anyone watching today with me? right now the speaker is going over past studies that have found and not found xmrv. and diff types of testing methods. nothing new yet. but he says that what they will share today is what they shared at the FDA blood products advisory group meeting this wk.

18. LaurelW

LaurelW Senior Member

Utah
    Yeah, the sound isn't great so it's hard to understand him.

19. RivkaRivka

RivkaRivka Senior Member

i can hear just fine... audio is fine on my end.

20. leaves

leaves Senior Member

Do we know what the false positive of WPI means for those of us that tested positive through VIP labs? I.e. is a false positive possible?

See more popular forum discussions.