• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Butyrate

Daffodil

hello. has anyone tried Butyrate? would like to hear experiences....

thank you:)

Ema

I take it. Mostly for liver support though I admit to hoping for some of the other benefits (like weight loss)!

I don't know what I think about it honestly. I've taken it for about 3 months now and I can't say that I've really noticed any positive changes.

I like the sodium butyrate better than the mag/calcium version. They both tend to promote loose stools but the magnesium one (obviously) more so than the sodium version.

I'll probably stick with it until I finish with all my antibiotic treatment just in case but it certainly hasn't been a miracle worker that I can tell.

Ema

helen1

Butyrate (cal/mag) as well as goat butter are part of my gut healing program. In 5 months my butyrate level went from 2 to 12 and my short chain fatty acids overall went from 35 to 105 on my GI effects test. There are other aspects to my gut plan so not sure what has most influenced those 2 levels but it's probable the butyrate and butter had something to do with it.

juniemarie

I'm getting ready to give sodium butyrate a try. On PupMd there were some studies on it for UC and other gut problems. It is reported to reduce ammonia levels so I am going to try it for my CBS mutation. On the UC group on Healingwell some also use it as a suppository and/or enema

helen1

joshi81,
First I had an organic acids test done which showed yeast overgrowth and bacterial overgrowth, so I went on the anti yeast diet, took an antifungal (nystantin), then saccharomyces boulardii. That helped my GI functioning a lot.

Then did a GI test through Metametrix where they analyze your stool for parasites and other pathogens, how much and what type of beneficial bacteria you have, your gut's pH, your sIgA level (immune system), your genetic resistance or sensitivity to various herbal and prescription antifungals (so you can choose ones that will be effective for you) and a few other things.

That's when I started taking butyrate, butter, redid a course of s. boulardii, bifidobacteria probiotics, started the FODSMAP diet and started with betaine HCL and digestive enzymes.

Five months later, when I redid the test, it was much improved. Except my sIgA had decreased quite a bit, not sure why.

Hope that helps,Joshi. Have you had any GI tests done?

joshi81

hi helen thank you, i had a CDSA/P wich i think is quite the same of your test on feces, it was from genova diagnostics and it showed a very low butyrate, an acidic ph of feces, yeast overgrowth (but not candida) and several infections... obviously too little good bacteria e no escherichia coli growth. At that time the doctor gave me probiotic and an antibiotic...stop..and i'm not really sure to have been treated properly, i should be re-tested. I tried avrious diets, including paleo but on paleo my poo got worse, if i reintroduce rice and potatoes my poo goes better so i guess that maybe i need a certain amount of starches (as the perfect health diet suggest)... but i don't know if is it the cas eto take butyrate and how to treat yeast overgrowht.
Helen i also would like to ask you.. where didi u get the test about your
+ MAO A
+- COMT 158, COMT 62, VDR Bsm, VDR Taq, MTHFR 677, MTRR 66, MTRR 664, BHMT 02, 04, 08, CBS 360

?? at wich lab? and what is the name of the test? it regards the genetic aspect of methylation right?

Valentijn

Helen i also would like to ask you.. where didi u get the test about your
+ MAO A
+- COMT 158, COMT 62, VDR Bsm, VDR Taq, MTHFR 677, MTRR 66, MTRR 664, BHMT 02, 04, 08, CBS 360

?? at wich lab? and what is the name of the test? it regards the genetic aspect of methylation right?
The genetic results come from 23andMe.com . Then you use a program to get specific methylation results from the genetic results.

Daffodil

thanks, all. kdm recommended it for me....after 2 weeks, i had gotten much worse so he told me to take a week's break.

is getting worse on this a good sign?

Daffodil

i read that butyrate helps clear neurotoxins....my cognitive problems have always been severe, so perhaps this is why i feel worse on the supplement...maybe its causing some release of neurotoxins....

Daffodil

on the bottle, it says NutriCology ButyrAid, a source of butyric acid from the salts of calcium and magnesium butyrate, in an enterically-coated tablet designed to release in the small intenstine.
xo

Daffodil

i continue to worsen a week after stopping the butyrate. i dont even think my doctor knows why this is happening.

i was doing better before i started this supplement. now, things are beyond horrible again !

Daffodil

hi junie. thanks for asking. it is maybe a little better - just a little. cannot believe 2 weeks of butyrate caused so much trouble!

xoxo