Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

butterbur - helpful for histamine intolerance?

Discussion in 'Mast Cell Disorders/Mastocytosis' started by ebethc, Aug 15, 2015.

1. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

I'm surprised that butterbur hasn't been mentioned here... I know that it acts on histamine and leukotreines, and it takes a while to reach effectiveness... Any feedback? thanks.

2. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    ebethc likes this.
  3. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

@ahmo - thanks... kind of defeats the purpose :)

4. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    Yup. but there's quercetin, rutin, mangosteen (which might be more for mast cell than histamine directly, not sure.)

ebethc likes this.
  5. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    I am taking just about everything there is to take right now for mast cell disorder (MCAS) and my doc has never mentioned butterbur. What is it?

6. Sushi

Sushi Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    If anyone is thinking about taking butterbur, it is very important to get the purified form which is supposed to be "safe." Petadolex is supposed to be one that is purified.

ahmo likes this.
  7. Vasha

Vasha Senior Member

Hi @Gingergrrl - butterbur is a plant. The medicine/supplement is extracted from its tuber, I think. I used it for quite a long time to prevent migraines on my neuorologist's recommendation. He had been at a conference and came back all excited about the research into it. There is good evidence (for migraine research anyway) of efficacy for migraine, and pretty good evidence against some allergies. So it could plausibly have something to do with mast cell stabilization, but I don't know of any studies.

It did seem to help lower the migraine activity, though I did not have dramatic results. For me, anything that lessens the roar is a success. I stopped using it because I was still losing weight and thought it might be affecting my appetite.

It is very important to get the purified form, because of the the toxicity, and that's not cheap. Petadolex has patented the process for purifying it and charge accordingly.

Might be worth asking your mast cell doc about.

Vasha

Gingergrrl and Sushi like this.
  8. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
  9. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

How is rutin different than quercetin? I feel like it's better for vascular issues (perhaps related to MCAS?? Dunno)

See more popular forum discussions.