Lipkin's Monster ME/CFS Study: Microbes, Immunity & Big Data
The Microbe Discovery Project outlines an ambitious new study by top researchers that has collected patient samples, but needs desperately funds to complete the work.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Business Insider: Lyme disease caused by ticks may cost $1.3 billion a year

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease and Co-Infections' started by Antares in NYC, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Antares in NYC

Antares in NYC Senior Member

USA
    Interesting article in Business Insider about the massive financial burden of the Lyme epidemic in the USA. While the article includes some of the usual misinformation (like PTLD, and really bad info on the Lymerix vaccine), the article minces no words to call this crisis a massive failure for the CDC and the IDSA, and their absolute failure in treating, researching and containing the spread of the illness.

The CDC now admits 300,000 new infections per year (of which 60,000 will become chronic), wrecking lives, careers, and costing us over $1 billion annually.

By all measures, their handling of Lyme has been a disaster. I think it's remarkable that a mainstream business publication is covering this mess, and paying attention to the legion of people left behind to suffer with no solution.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  2. justy

justy Donate Advocate Demonstrate

U.K
    Sounds just like the situation in the UK currently - Gp's and Vets are claiming there is NO Lyme disease apart from in three small geographical areas and that it is hard to catch and easy to treat, yet the Lyme groups are groaning under the weight of new members and most of them from so called 'non Lyme areas'.

This is really becoming a massive problem and will cost more and more to deal with. Just trying to get appropriate testing is a nightmare, let alone the correct type/length of treatment.

In the UK I think its pretty much impossible to get anything other than the standard two weeks of oral Doxy on the NHS. Other than that you are on your own.

When we found out my daughter also had Lyme I was very upset and said this to my Dr - that I felt guilty. He told me I shouldn't feel bad - society had let me and my daughter down and had a lot to answer for.

See more popular forum discussions.