1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Patient Experience: "What Bronllys taught me about pacing."
In 2012, Maya, who had tried to cope with ME/CFS on her own for many years, attended a pain management centre in Wales, U.K., and is now able to achieve more through pacing and acceptance, than she had been able to before the course...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Burning Mouth Syndrome

Discussion in 'General Symptoms' started by Mij, May 12, 2013.

1. rosie26

rosie26 Senior Member

NZ
    How is everyone's burning tongue and mouths ? I am still getting mine off/on. Has anyone's finally gone yet ?
  2. PennyIA

PennyIA Senior Member

Iowa
    Mine is allergy - diet-based.... I haven't ruled out the culprits, but it's definitely tied to an 'alternative' grain. My gluten-free diet right now is just sans anything that would normally contain gluten (as opposed to eating pasta/bread made with alternative grains) and the burning mouth is completely gone. I'm just starting to explore very slowly testing new alternative grains again to determine if I can find the allergy(ies).
    rosie26 likes this.
  3. rosie26

rosie26 Senior Member

NZ
    Interesting that it seems to be allergy related for you Penny. I hope those crackers aren't a great loss not to eat. I would hate to be allergic to Sushi, one of my favourite treats. :D
    I am fairly sure mine is a perimenopausal symptom as it started when I started to have on/off again periods and hot flushes.
  4. Mij

Mij Senior Member

I would say for me it's a lot less but it does come back in a milder form. I believe mine also has perimenopausal causes because I can track other symptoms when it starts. So B vitamins and perimenopausal. I'm no longer worried about it :)
  5. Mij

Mij Senior Member

Yes and it started soon after having on and off periods and x3 turning into what I described an eggplant. I don't get hot flashes but I turned bright purple x3 back in March, it lasted around 40 minutes each time. It started with a tingling sensation in my head, my face turned purple and then my whole body including my toes turned purple. I didn't feel hot internally but my skin did and I looked quite scary. Thank goodness I was home when it happened!!
    rosie26 likes this.
  6. rosie26

rosie26 Senior Member

NZ
    :D yes, your experience sounds like mine Mij. It points to hormonal changes for me too. I feel more satisfied now that I got that one sorted, I think ! :) thanks
    Mij likes this.
  7. Prosons

Prosons

I believe dopamine may play an important role in our BMS. I know that many of us are also dealing with excess serotonin.

Pain[edit]
    Dopamine has been demonstrated to play a role in pain processing in multiple levels of the central nervous system including the spinal cord, periaqueductal gray (PAG), thalamus, basal ganglia, and cingulate cortex. Accordingly, decreased levels of dopamine have been associated with painful symptoms that frequently occur in Parkinson's disease. Abnormalities in dopaminergic neurotransmission have also been demonstrated in painful clinical conditions, including burning mouth syndrome,[34] fibromyalgia, and restless legs syndrome. In general, the analgesic capacity of dopamine occurs as a result of dopamine D2 receptor activation; however, exceptions to this exist in the PAG, in which dopamine D1 receptor activation attenuates pain presumably via activation of neurons involved in descending inhibition.[35] In addition, D1 receptor activation in the insular cortex appears to attenuate subsequent pain-related behavior

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dopamine
    rosie26 likes this.
  8. rosie26

rosie26 Senior Member

NZ
    @Prosons
    That's interesting.

I stumbled across some trials regarding burning mouth syndrome just last night and it looked like it was something to do with the neurological side of things. I must go back and try and find. I couldn't find the results last night I think they are still to write up or publish. The one I am talking about started in 2007 and I think just finished. Will have to check.

See more popular forum discussions.