Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Bupropion Revisted (POTS + Fatigue / Cytokines / Anti-viral / Brain Mitochondria)

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Jesse2233, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Caveat: Obviously this is a common drug, and likely tried to little avail by many on here. But it seems to be effective for a subset as some patients (1) and doctors (2) (3) have reported.

-------------------------------

I've been doing research on Bupropion (Wellbutrin) and found some interesting things beyond its effects as a anti-depressant. This drug has been discussed before, but not with the following research and anecdotes as guides for discussion. I'd be interested to know if anyone has experienced any similar benefits while taking it.

To summarize it may:
    1. Reduce pro-inflammatory cytokines in mice (IL-1beta, TNF-alpha and IFN-gamma) (4)

2. Act as an anti-viral against herpes family viruses in 8 human case studies (EBV, HHV, HSV) (5)

3. Increase brain metabolism in mice (Krebs cycle enzyme SDH in the prefrontal cortex and cerebellum, and the electron transport chain in the hippocampus, cerebellum and striatum) (6)
    -------------------------------

Here are some interesting anecdotal accounts:

A woman experiencing of 6 months of extremely debilitating post-viral fatigue following EBV (7)

upload_2017-6-26_15-1-34.png

Two POTS patients (8)

upload_2017-6-26_14-58-55.png
    Two patients with 8 and 10 year histories with ME/CFS (9)

upload_2017-6-26_15-4-31.png

ScottTriGuy, Thinktank and Sancar like this.
  2. EtherSpin

EtherSpin Senior Member

Melbourne , Australia
    interesting! I started on it in mid to late 2014 because I'd had sporadic and severe bouts of (neuroinflammatory,says doc) depression and heard from a friend that it was a novel anti depressant that could help perhaps with energy levels and weight loss.
    I noticed that the time release tab kept me up beyond any normal sleep issues so I tried cutting a notch in the tablet and taking full dose and its probably placebo but I felt mentally hyper active and got a ridiculous result on a video game i play (never matched again)

I decided to just try half the dose (ill check what that is and add to thread later) by literally cutting the tablet in half. Im still on that to this day and to be honest I don't notice any benefits but when I look at the span that I've been on the tablets my apparent reactivations of herpes family viruses is much lower - I don't get the swollen glands so much anymore twice a year now perhaps rather than being like that a few days of every month

I'll follow this thread and add anything that occurs to me!

Jesse2233 likes this.
  3. adreno

adreno PR activist

Didn't work well for me. Something to do with also being an nicotinic receptor antagonist, I believe.

4. silky

silky a gentle soul here to learn

Orange County, California
    Can you explain more about that Adreno?

5. adreno

adreno PR activist

6. silky

silky a gentle soul here to learn

Orange County, California
    Thank you @ Adreno

See more popular forum discussions.