• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bromantane an actoprotector/adaptogen

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Another experiment to try soon. On paper has lots of good qualities like lower heat stress , increase energy but not like stimulants which are exhaustive and mentions improves immune system and many generally good things. And its band for use in the olympics so must work lol. Some info below.

Actoprotectors are preparations that enhance body stability against physical loads without increasing oxygen consumption or heat production. Actoprotectors comprehend metabolic drugs of a non-consumptive class of action, which to greater or lesser extents can possess antihypoxic activity. They differ from antihypoxants, however, in that they primarily (directly) stimulate protein synthesis and increase working capacity. Moreover, under hypoxic conditions, they exert an antihypoxic influence that can become stronger as a result of mitochondrion-decreased ability to oxidize substrates under higher physical loads, but they do not function in this way in other etiologies.

The principal difference between actoprotectors and psychostimulants (e.g. caffeine, sydnocarb, phenamine, methylphenidate, modafinil, adrafinil, armodafinil) is that actoprotectors are agents of non-exhaustive action. With actoprotectors, there is no increase in oxygen consumption or heat production; and, unlike nootropic agents – actoprotectors increase not only mental (intellectual) but also, and primarily, physical work capacity.

The distinction between actoprotectors and adaptogens is not straightforward. Their respective characteristics show many similarities and even identities. It was contended that the separation of actoprotectors as a new class of pharmacological compound was not justified theoretically, that is, that this classification was the result of the practical requirements of military medicine. Agents in the actoprotector class can reasonably be referred to as synthetic adaptogens, and their strong actoprotective effect can be regarded as a component of their adaptogenic action.

Our own opinion is that actoprotectors, most logically, should be regarded as synthetic adaptogens having a strong positive influence on physical work capacity. This means that for pharmacological classification convenience, some synthetic adaptogens that significantly enhance physical performance.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3762282/

heapsreal

Btw levamisole decreases HIV infectivity in vitro.

Is it also an antifungal?

When i have time i want to dig deeper into how it works for its many other effects that cant be explained by increasing dopamine and serotonin. Its ability to help people handle hot temperatures sounds good, summers i struggle with and coming into all the heat now. Also said to have anabolic qualities and effects on immune system where it appears to reduce some inflammatory cytokines.

It looks like a drug suited to cfs but have to try and see for ourselves.

I tried bromantane but it was disappointingly weak in noticeable effects. In contrast I tried its parent chemical adamantane and it was much more potent and easy to overdo, both benefits and negatives (most notable were gut benefits though highly psychoactive good and bad). Supplement quality could be an issue but the bromantane appeared genuine.

heapsreal

I tried bromantane but it was disappointingly weak in noticeable effects. In contrast I tried its parent chemical adamantane and it was much more potent and easy to overdo, both benefits and negatives (most notable were gut benefits though highly psychoactive good and bad). Supplement quality could be an issue but the bromantane appeared genuine.

From what i can tell its something to use for 4 to 6 weeks to help one recovery from something as well as its mild energizing effects??

From what i can tell its something to use for 4 to 6 weeks to help one recovery from something as well as its mild energizing effects??
I only used bromantane for 1.5 weeks before stopping (pressures) so maybe a longer course. But stayed on adamantane for several months 5 days/week and beyond a week it stayed roughly the same. They're both impressive on paper, and expected bromantane to be stronger but got the opposite.

heapsreal

I took 1x50mg tablet yesterday morning. It was very mild. Today i took 2x50mg bromantane about 4 hrs ago, still mild but head feels clearer but not really stimulating , maybe a very mellow modafinil or like an ssri antidepressant but mild?? Or it could be its anti inflammatory effects.

Its suppose to have positive effects long term so i will continue daily at this stage but things can change. Id say it has value if one gets it priced cheap.

heapsreal

Update.
I used bromantane for about 7 days, mostly at 2x50mg. Its classed as a stimulant because it increases dopamine and works as a stim in most people.

Well im special , as i continued the bromantane i had increasing lethargy and was really struggling at work, for my lunch break id have 20mins of sleep, very odd for me as i cant sleep well at the best of times. I actually thought i had an ongoing virus as the previous 2 months ive been smashed with sinusitis. I also recently found out that a woman my wife works closely with had influenza B and my wife has been coughing up half a lung for the past 2 months. So good chance i probably had influenza but as the week went on with bromantane i was really struggling, one day i took a small dose of modafinil and a 200mg caffeine pill to try and keep functioning, it had no effect.

So i decided to stop bromantane incase it was also causing this lethargy. A few years back i tried a dopamine stimulating drug and it caused sedation in me, so i thought this might also be the case. Its not uncommon for people using substances that directly increase dopamine to get lethargy from it. So the first day i stopped bromantane the lethargy lessoned significantly and the day after was back to normal.

I can see bromantane helping me if i crash and need to rest up. Maybe as a one of thing every so often it could be helpful as it does have a calming focused effect the first 2 days i used it but i think regular use it builds up in my system and becomes sedating. Some info where they say in russia its used after a stressful period to speed recovery, i can see it helping me this way on days where its time to veg out from pem etc.

I will keep experimenting with it and see how else it may be helpful.

pattismith

Update.
I used bromantane for about 7 days, mostly at 2x50mg. Its classed as a stimulant because it increases dopamine and works as a stim in most people.

Well im special , as i continued the bromantane i had increasing lethargy and was really struggling at work, for my lunch break id have 20mins of sleep, very odd for me as i cant sleep well at the best of times. I actually thought i had an ongoing virus as the previous 2 months ive been smashed with sinusitis. I also recently found out that a woman my wife works closely with had influenza B and my wife has been coughing up half a lung for the past 2 months. So good chance i probably had influenza but as the week went on with bromantane i was really struggling, one day i took a small dose of modafinil and a 200mg caffeine pill to try and keep functioning, it had no effect.

So i decided to stop bromantane incase it was also causing this lethargy. A few years back i tried a dopamine stimulating drug and it caused sedation in me, so i thought this might also be the case. Its not uncommon for people using substances that directly increase dopamine to get lethargy from it. So the first day i stopped bromantane the lethargy lessoned significantly and the day after was back to normal.

I can see bromantane helping me if i crash and need to rest up. Maybe as a one of thing every so often it could be helpful as it does have a calming focused effect the first 2 days i used it but i think regular use it builds up in my system and becomes sedating. Some info where they say in russia its used after a stressful period to speed recovery, i can see it helping me this way on days where its time to veg out from pem etc.

I will keep experimenting with it and see how else it may be helpful.

Thank you for sharing, we know we are special!:)

ramakentesh

Interesting results. I believe Bromantane has significant gaba effects which may also account for a lethargic response.
I personally find psychostimulants (Ritalin, Concerta, to a lesser extent Pseudoephedrine) to be the most helpful for me and I believe this is the dual action of increased peripheral vasoconstriction and central dopamine awake/promotion alertness.
I frequently encounter people suggesting these are 'exhaustive' but rebound symptoms are common with many drugs and unless there is evidence of a defect in presynaptic dopamine synthesis or vesicle level (and there may be with the dopamine/basal ganglia research) I'm sceptical.
Modafinil was an epic fail for me. All hype but no energy or decreased dizziness.

pattismith

Interesting results. I believe Bromantane has significant gaba effects which may also account for a lethargic response.
I personally find psychostimulants (Ritalin, Concerta, to a lesser extent Pseudoephedrine) to be the most helpful for me and I believe this is the dual action of increased peripheral vasoconstriction and central dopamine awake/promotion alertness.
I frequently encounter people suggesting these are 'exhaustive' but rebound symptoms are common with many drugs and unless there is evidence of a defect in presynaptic dopamine synthesis or vesicle level (and there may be with the dopamine/basal ganglia research) I'm sceptical.
Modafinil was an epic fail for me. All hype but no energy or decreased dizziness.

I used caffeine for years before decreasing it and stopping it because I couldn't tolerate it anymore then I tryed ephedrine for two years (both are brain vasoconstritor), and the same happened, it was benefic at first and then I had to lower the dose and to stop because I couldn't tolerate it any longer....

Now I can't take any of them any more...

heapsreal

Ive actually found modafinil in low doses quite helpful but wasnt looking to the hyperalert effects of a stim.

Bromantane i can take late afternoon and mellows me out. Ive been doing quite well of late and exercising regularly and hard. Occassionally it feels like i get a cns type of fatigue setting in, the bromantane feels like it speeds up the recovery of my cns and the next day feel more refreshed. Im taking it very irregularly but feel it has some good effects.

It seems like it can go 2 ways for people in general ie stimulating or calming but as some russian information has said, its like a pharmaceutical adaptogen, thats probably the best way to describe it for now.

Continuous use made me too drowsy but will continue to experiment with it.

I want to start Bromantane but there appears to be some manufacturing issue right now. All credible sites are out of stock. I just hope production hasn't been discontinued. It's incredibly frustrating that Bromantane isn't being produced or researched (to my knowledge) in any other countries. It seems like it could be a real aid to many people, especially those who don't want to tax their nervous system with drugs that have more significant non-dopamine related effects.

I've been lucky enough to secure a few boxes of Ladasten. I was told by one supplier that they didn't think it would be coming back at all. Hopefully that is not true.

I feel like this may be a relatively unexplored treatment option for PLMD (and RLS). I'm going to use my fitbit to see if I can detect any reduction in limb movements while asleep. It would seem that lethargy for people with PLMD would be partially due to compromised sleep and partially due to just the general effects of having a dopamine issue.

Also, I'm interested in the blood pressure effects that Ladasten is reported to have. I'm hoping that it may help with POTS. I'll use a blood pressure monitor first thing in the morning to test its effects.

heapsreal

I've been lucky enough to secure a few boxes of Ladasten. I was told by one supplier that they didn't think it would be coming back at all. Hopefully that is not true.

I feel like this may be a relatively unexplored treatment option for PLMD (and RLS). I'm going to use my fitbit to see if I can detect any reduction in limb movements while asleep. It would seem that lethargy for people with PLMD would be partially due to compromised sleep and partially due to just the general effects of having a dopamine issue.

Also, I'm interested in the blood pressure effects that Ladasten is reported to have. I'm hoping that it may help with POTS. I'll use a blood pressure monitor first thing in the morning to test its effects.

Bemitil is a similar substance that was the version before bromantane. Bromantane is like the 2.0 version of bemitil. So another Actoprotectant.

Ive read bemitil commonly causes nausea though.