Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Broken Science 2/2015 (Reason.com) What happens when cancer doctors, psychologists, and drug develop

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by *GG*, Jan 19, 2016.

1. *GG*

*GG*

Concord, NH
  2. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Nice article, @ggingues. This bit is useful for those interested in these issues:

P-hacking is when you run multiple tests on a data until you find one that's significant, then report only that. Its a problem because the more tests you run, the greater your likelihood of getting a positive results by chance (we presume the chance of getting a significant result when no difference exists out there in the real world is about 1 in 20, so if you do 20 tests, at least 1 is bound to be significant by chance alone).

HARKing stands for "hypothesizing after the results are known." If the initial hypothesis is not confirmed, you hunt through the data retrospectively to find something positive, then you pretend that's what you hypothesised all along. This increases the chances of finding false positives and makes results seem stronger than they really are.

Valentijn, BurnA and *GG* like this.
  3. *GG*

*GG*

Concord, NH
    Thanks, yeah I noted that when reading the article. Should check it and see what else I highlighted.

GG

4. Roy S

Roy S former DC ME/CFS lobbyist

Illinois, USA
    HARKing stands for "hypothesizing after the results are known."

HURLing stands for "humans undergoing regurgitation later." :)

Woolie and BurnA like this.
  5. *GG*

*GG*

Concord, NH
    You saying the Science is not broken?

GG

See more popular forum discussions.