• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Broad spectrum options for an inflammed gut?

Hi All,

I'm in pretty bad shape with MCS, liver/methylation issues and a raw, toxic inflammed gut.

I don't really have a strategy for knowing how to get better but know I somehow need to support my gut. It's quite possible it is the cause of all my issues. I had a metametrix test about a year ago which didn't show much, bar an unidentified parasite and high H pylori. Unfortunately trying mastic gum screwed up my digestion further.

I can categorise my food sensitivities.....

Brain fog/autoimmune type reactions - eggs, dairy, nightshades
weak digestion/constipation/fermentation reactions - fruit, onions (fodmaps), fiber, grains
blood sugar reactions (hypoglycemia) - rice, high GI veg
joint pain - sweet potato's
histamine - fermented foods, wine, cheese etc

Being very low carb was the only way to avoid all these, but that unfortunately nearly killed me.... Suffered severe electrolyte imbalance, multiple trips to ER, complete lack of appetite, low blood pressure, trouble walking etc.

In terms of digestive symptoms, which are just a subset of my overall symptoms, I experience

- Burning bowel movements
- Sluggish digestion
- Constipation
- Left and right abdominal ache
- Slow stomach emptying
- Liver/gallbladder ache
- Foul smelling
- Undigested food
- Colour typically heavily based on what was eaten the day before

Issues with having faith in a protocol

- Needing carbs but having the digestive issues above.
- Because I'm very weak, detox reactions are often intolerable. Diarrhea can land me in A&E
- Because my gut is raw, every bowel movement is uncomfortable
- Because I'm toxic from MCS/liver dysfunction, detox from this can irritate my gut which might be a necessary evil.
- Knowing whether to 'soothe' or 'attack'
- Knowing that one supplement is probably not going to dramatically improve my health due to multiple organ involvement, therefore slowly introducing supplements and monitoring the effect is tricky.

In terms of what I've tried, I do some relief from digestive supplements, notably enzymes, betaine HCL and pancreatin. Pancreatin has been fairly recent and I can really feel it's working to digest food and also virus's/parasites etc and has helped with my constipation, but it's very potent. I've tried ox bile in the past but it's loosing it's effect.

Has anyone been in a similar boat and found anything useful as a starting point? I have some single strain acidophilus on order to try which seems like a fairly sensible broad spectrum supplement. I'm then thinking of a biofilm supplement if it's not too rough.

Many thanks,

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
gut inflammation sacchromyce bouldarri

Background & Aims:Saccharomyces boulardii is a nonpathogenic yeast used for treatment of diarrhea. We used a mice model of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) to analyze the effects of S boulardii on inflammation. Methods: Lymphocyte-transferred SCID mice, displaying IBD, were fed daily with S boulardii. Weight loss and inflammatory status of the colon were monitored. Nuclear factor-κB activity was assessed in the colon. The CD4+ T-cell production of interferon (IFN) γ was evaluated by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay, and a comprehensive reverse-transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) analysis for both colon and mesenteric lymph nodes was performed. Finally, we analyzed cell migration mechanisms in vitro and in vivo. Results:S boulardii treatment inhibits IBD. S boulardii induces an accumulation of IFN-γ-producing T-helper 1 cells within the mesenteric lymph nodes correlated with a diminution of CD4+ T-cell number and IFN-γ production by CD4+ T cells within the colon. The influence of S boulardii treatment on cell accumulation in mesenteric lymph nodes was also observed in normal BALB/c mice and involves modifications of lymph node endothelial cell adhesiveness by a yeast secretion product. Conclusions:S boulardii has a unique action on inflammation by a specific alteration of the migratory behavior of T cells, which accumulate in mesenteric lymph nodes. Therefore, S boulardii treatment limits the infiltration of T-helper 1 cells in the inflammed colon and the amplification of inflammation induced by proinflammatory cytokines production. These results suggest that S boulardii administration may have a beneficial effect in the treatment of IBD.

I had problems for almost 10 years with diarrhea and rarely constipation, but it was bad enough to require an enema to help move my bowels. It seemed like I had every test in the book, including the mainstream kinds like colonoscopy/endoscopy, stool tests galore, and blood tests. They never could find anything.

I truly feel for you. It's misery. A friend told me about L.E.A.P and did the blood test to test for food sensitivities. The woman who was certified in L.E.A.P put me on a specialized diet for 6 weeks and then food rotation. The concept is for a very limited diet for 6 weeks n order to take away all of the foods that inflame your gut and give it time to heal. In my case it worked. I had some surprisingly high sensitivities to things like: olives, baker's yeast, coconut, almonds, pistachios, watermelon, tomato, tea, cucumber, maple, and etc. so no more olive oil, maple syrup, almond milk, and so forth! It's funny because foods that were healthy and I was supposed to eat for my health only aggravated my condition. I no longer have diarrhea or constipation.

I have zero affiliation with LEAP so I'll post the link to the information in case it is helpful: http://www.nowleap.com/index.html The woman who was recommended to me did the test at cost plus a small charge for consultation.

FunkOdyssey

Ketotifen is developing a reputation for resolving food sensitivities, leaky gut, and irritable bowel syndrome. Independently of all that, if you believe mast cells play a significant role in CFS pathology, ketotifen is the premier systemic and clinically proven mast cell stabilizer.

GcMAF Australia

Hi All,

I'm in pretty bad shape with MCS, liver/methylation issues and a raw, toxic inflammed gut.

I don't really have a strategy for knowing how to get better but know I somehow need to support my gut. It's quite possible it is the cause of all my issues. I had a metametrix test about a year ago which didn't show much, bar an unidentified parasite and high H pylori. Unfortunately trying mastic gum screwed up my digestion further.

I can categorise my food sensitivities.....

Brain fog/autoimmune type reactions - eggs, dairy, nightshades
weak digestion/constipation/fermentation reactions - fruit, onions (fodmaps), fiber, grains
blood sugar reactions (hypoglycemia) - rice, high GI veg
joint pain - sweet potato's
histamine - fermented foods, wine, cheese etc

Being very low carb was the only way to avoid all these, but that unfortunately nearly killed me.... Suffered severe electrolyte imbalance, multiple trips to ER, complete lack of appetite, low blood pressure, trouble walking etc.

In terms of digestive symptoms, which are just a subset of my overall symptoms, I experience

- Burning bowel movements
- Sluggish digestion
- Constipation
- Left and right abdominal ache
- Slow stomach emptying
- Liver/gallbladder ache
- Foul smelling
- Undigested food
- Colour typically heavily based on what was eaten the day before

Issues with having faith in a protocol

- Needing carbs but having the digestive issues above.
- Because I'm very weak, detox reactions are often intolerable. Diarrhea can land me in A&E
- Because my gut is raw, every bowel movement is uncomfortable
- Because I'm toxic from MCS/liver dysfunction, detox from this can irritate my gut which might be a necessary evil.
- Knowing whether to 'soothe' or 'attack'
- Knowing that one supplement is probably not going to dramatically improve my health due to multiple organ involvement, therefore slowly introducing supplements and monitoring the effect is tricky.

In terms of what I've tried, I do some relief from digestive supplements, notably enzymes, betaine HCL and pancreatin. Pancreatin has been fairly recent and I can really feel it's working to digest food and also virus's/parasites etc and has helped with my constipation, but it's very potent. I've tried ox bile in the past but it's loosing it's effect.

Has anyone been in a similar boat and found anything useful as a starting point? I have some single strain acidophilus on order to try which seems like a fairly sensible broad spectrum supplement. I'm then thinking of a biofilm supplement if it's not too rough.

Many thanks,
Good points
Dr lewis finds that 60% of CFS people are intolerant to fructose which is found in fruit, potatoes, carrots sweet potatoes etc and i believe lower in the green leafy vegies (can google this eg http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fructose)
other high interances are found with glutein and casein
He finds just eliminating these helps CFS people>
It is interesting and alarming that we are selecting plant varieties for there sweetness and hence selecting for fruit and vegies that are going to make us sick and possibly die. as indicated by SusanB.
so maybe a bit more protein?
there are some books on anti inflammatory diets.
also maybe inflammation therapy https://chronicillnessrecovery.org/
maybe have IV drips and allow the gut to recover a bit??
another thing is that bacteria are associated with the gut problems

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/07/100707141558.htm
also a lot in the further articles column
Amid the murk of 'gut flora,' vitamin D receptor emerges as a key player
www.sciencedaily.comWithin the human digestive tract is a teeming mass of hundreds of types of bacte
ria, a potpourri of microbes numbering in the trillions that help us digest food and keep bad bacteria in check. Scientists have found that the vitamin D receptor is a key player amid the gut bacteria --

I hope that this helps

Kontra, sorry about the predicament. I can relate, it sounds familiar. I have not found the answer and have no furhter suggestions. Additionally, I have trouble with probiotic, and most fiber (prebiotic).... but without fiber I get so constipated, it is a worse evil. But I feel raw and reactive to most foods. Not sure what to do.