The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

British Legion calls for more research into Gulf War illnesses

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by MeSci, Jan 17, 2016.

1. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Cornwall, UK
    This article was published today on the BBC News website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35336312

More at the above link.

L'engle, ahmo, luludji and 4 others like this.
  2. Skippa

Skippa Anti-BS

Divide and conquer in warfare.

Then divide and conquer when your own troops complain of serious repercussions.

SilverbladeTE, ahmo and sarah darwins like this.
  3. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    From the article:

Does anyone know what happened there? Or what the nature of that research was?

Call me a conspiracy theorist (I'm fine with that), but 2 possibilities spring to mind:
    1. It was biomedical research and the phase one results suggested (expensive) non-psychological therapies helped.
    2. It was looking at CBT/GET or something similar and phase one results showed it made things worse.

The MOD may say it's always open to new research proposals, but we know who rules the roost in this area. It's what got Simon Wessely knighted. From Wikipedia:

His 'evidence' (sic. I suspect they mean 'testimony') may have helped affected troops get war pensions, which is a good thing, but at what cost?

Battery Muncher, Woolie, ahmo and 4 others like this.
  4. Skippa

Skippa Anti-BS

@sarah darwins don't worry about being a conspiracy theorist when there is quite clearly something afoot.

What would make you a conspiracy theorist would be if you took this as evidence that aliens are responsible for GWS or lizard people gave them the cocktail of drugs.

What we have here is clearly a case of either/or: one of the following:

1) 33,000 troops all got together and decided to lie their ass off and invent a syndrome for shits and giggles.

2) somewhere along the line, someone is covering their ass... might not even be as big as experimental therapy etc, could just be an extremely selfish "higher up" wanting to defend their promotion.

3) stiff upper lip. Throwing 33,000 troops under the bus is better than admitting you have a serious problem requiring cash and time to fix.

5. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Cornwall, UK
    When I did a PubMed search for 'Gulf' in title and abstract and 'Wessely S' as author I got 55 hits. Might there be some clues in there? I don't have time to look at them.

ahmo, Valentijn, Chrisb and 1 other person like this.
  6. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

That does sound interesting.

I've heard that Wessely has rather misprepresented his role in getting financial support for the suffers of GWS, and that one of the lawyers involved thought that he was quite unhelpful. I can't find any good evidence on this one way or the other now though.

L'engle, Valentijn and sarah darwins like this.
  7. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

Given his background I'm sure we can guess which side to err on.

L'engle likes this.
  8. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    Can' expose the fact that

1) the UK/USA sold Saddam the nerve gasses and biological weapons he had

2) that bombing his ammunitions stores released these and troops downwind got dosed

3) some of the SCUD missiles WERE armed with such warheads, by accident or design (local commanders zealotry or just screw ups who knows)
    but that couldn't get out, as the USA had threatened to retaliate with hydrogen bombs if that occurred
    see, thing is, that was, like one 12 years later, was a lie, all about stealing oil/power etc etc
    so they couldn't have nukes being used
    so it was all "disappeared"

4) the troops were injected with an untested unicenced anthrax vaccine inc lear breach of many laws and regulations
    and wouldn't ya know it, follow the money and well, it leads up and up

5) couldn't let folk realize that organophosphates have terrible long term consequence as they are IN OUR FOOD

so 25 years on and there is no serious research no treatment the troops are dying off MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!
    as always they lie out there ass using people like Wessely to filibuster until the victims are mostly dead.

sarah darwins likes this.
  9. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    MeSci and sarah darwins like this.
  10. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Very BPS. Funny how the risk factor mentioned by the veteran is vaccinations, something for which there is supporting evidence, yet the BBC article chooses to not mention that and instead debunk other possible physical causes and present no criticism of Neil Greenberg's claims.

11. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member

Yorkshire, England
    Professor Sir Mansel Aylward is Director of the Centre for Psychosocial Research, Occupational and Physician Health at Cardiff University School of Medicine

12. Skippa

Skippa Anti-BS

How on earth did we get into this mess whereby the psych crowd are allowed to take every "not easily diagnosed" health condition and run away with it?

MeSci and sarah darwins like this.
  13. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    Ah, nice clue, LB.

From Wiki:

Simon Wessely two point oh?

Battery Muncher, MeSci and John Mac like this.
  14. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

A few nights ago I was looking at some papers which I currently do not have the energy to rediscover. I was trying to find the research for which I had been a guinea pig. I had not previously realised, or had forgotten, that the work of Behan and Bakheit in the early 1990s on use of buspirone to identify abnormalities in prolactin release had been replicated in farmers suffering organo- phosphate poisoning.

I was somewhat surprised to see the name on the paper in, I think, 1997 which questioned the findings. M Sharpe.

I will put that on the list of things to look at. when energy resources allow.

15. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

Sharpe found the same prolactin response to buspirone that Behan did.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8938208

Chrisb and sarah darwins like this.
  16. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

But this stuff was conveniently forgotten and the standard clinical practice remains to push serotonergic antidepressants on ME/CFS patients.

Chrisb, sarah darwins and halcyon like this.
  17. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

There are a lot more names on this paper than the one I saw, but perhaps I was too tired to take proper note. I may have formed the premature belief that corroboration of Behan's findings would not sit easily with a belief in the BPS model.

Should this paper be interpreted as an acceptance of Behan's findings on organo phosphate poisoning with its possible implications for GWS.

See more popular forum discussions.