Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

BrigitteDas chronische Erschöpfungssyndrom machte mich zu (German womens magazine ME + PACE trial)

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Yogi, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Yogi

Yogi Senior Member

Das chronische Erschöpfungssyndrom machte mich zum Pflegefall

Melanie Schickedanz leidet unter dem chronischen Erschöpfungssyndrom. Das häufigste Vorurteil: Die Frau hat sich nicht im Griff.

Im Jahr 2004 brach bei Melanie Schickedanz (36) die Erkrankung Myalgische Enzephalomyelitis (ME) aus, auch chronisches Erschöpfungssyndrom genannt. Sie wurde 2010 bettlägerig, 2011 zum Pflegefall. Soweit es der Zustand der gelernten Bürokauffrau zulässt, setzt sie sich für die Aufklärung der Erkrankung ein. In ihrem Blog berichtet sie über ME.

http://m.brigitte.de/aktuell/stimme...drom-machte-mich-zum-pflegefall-10834908.html

English translation:

Melanie Schickedanz suffers from chronic fatigue syndrome. The most common prejudice: The woman has not under control.

In 2004 broke with Melanie Schickedanz (36) the disease Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME) from, also called chronic fatigue syndrome. She was bedridden in 2010, 2011 for the long-term care.To the extent permitted by the state of skilled office clerk, she is committed to the education of the disease. In her blog she talks about ME.

Google translates into English but if any German speakers here able to translate properly?

She also writes at Huffington Post Germany

http://www.huffingtonpost.de/melanie-schickedanz/

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  2. eastcoast12

eastcoast12 Senior Member

Long Island ny
    Any way to get an English translation? My German consists of bratwurst and Hefeweizen

barbc56, Invisible Woman and Blue like this.
  3. Yogi

Yogi Senior Member

Google should do an automatic translation if you click it but not the best.

Your German is about same as mine as it only consists of 'Vorsprung durch technik'

barbc56 likes this.
  4. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

What, no Rammstein lyrics?!?

5. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
    barbc56 and sarah darwins like this.
  6. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

She is reporting that her ME was seemingly triggered by an infusion for treating her sudden idiopathic hearing loss (hope that's translated right). What she received isn't specified but guidelines in Germany recommend high dose cortisone, as tablet or infusion, so that was probably it.

7. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    Leave it with me chaps ...

barbc56, Invisible Woman and Yogi like this.
  8. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

What's wrong with that?
    Okay!
    (Crosses arms over chest, tapping foot inpatiently while keeping an eye on the clock.)

Invisible Woman and alex3619 like this.
  9. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    I'd have got it done much quicker if you hadn't been looming over me like that ...

She missed out headaches in her list of symptoms, but apart from that minor quibble a great article, especially the no-nonsense description of PACE and its harmful effects in a mainstream popular German magazine. The kind of article you can send to friends in the hope that they might "get it".

She's also written articles for the Huffington Post:

http://www.huffingtonpost.de/melanie-schickedanz/

Clicking through to the articles, they are similarly excellent and also give PACE a mention. Don't know what the readership of the German Huffington Post is, none of her articles seem to have attracted any comments.

10. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

I must have a long neck if was able to stretch it all the way to Germany.

Now my neck muscles are all bunched up and I'm getting a headache. Obviously, this is your fault.

But, seriously, thank you for the hard work put into the translation. Funny but I thought you were a native born German. I lived in Bonn for six months with my boyfriend who was on sabatical at the University of Bonn. Oddly enough he was a professor of statistics. (oops, I think that subject was on another thread) I picked up the german I learned in college fairly rapidly as I was emersed in the culture but once I was back in the states, it was quickly forgotten.

MEMum, TiredSam and Invisible Woman like this.

See more popular forum discussions.