• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

[Breakthrough] This could be the cure/treatment for Leaky Gut (PLoS ONE study)

cigana

There are many people with ME/CFS who have LPS in their blood and the studies by Maes et al. all point into this direction. The question is whether our current treatment options reduce intestinal permeability (IP) so much that it does not contribute to CFS anymore. In this case there would be not much improvement through new drugs on improving gut integrity. On the other side however, if our current treatment options DO NOT improve IP enough, this could be a great treatment target.

Hi Waverunner. Isn't the answer in Maes' paper? I mean he showed that our current treatment options can both heal leaky gut (as measured by antibodies to LPS) and reduce/completely remove all CFS symptoms. Of course that didn't happen to all patients, so maybe those that were not helped (in terms of symptoms) would be helped by this new drug. It is not clear to me from Maes' paper, though, if those that didn't improve their symptoms had however healed their leaky gut...

Thanks for posting this very exciting :)

Waverunner

Hi Waverunner. Isn't the answer in Maes' paper? I mean he showed that our current treatment options can both heal leaky gut (as measured by antibodies to LPS) and reduce/completely remove all CFS symptoms. Of course that didn't happen to all patients, so maybe those that were not helped (in terms of symptoms) would be helped by this new drug. It is not clear to me from Maes' paper, though, if those that didn't improve their symptoms had however healed their leaky gut...

Thanks for posting this very exciting :)

Yes, we probably will have to use trial and error to see if Linaclotide is a treatment option. However it is always better to have a variety of treatment options than just a few. Moreover this drug could be more efficient in treating increased intestinal permeability than supplements or other drugs. I just checked the average FDA approval times. Without Fast Track it seems to take about 12 months, so Linaclotide could be available in August/September 2012.

I just found this thread. Exciting! Probably out in the next 6 months!

And being used for IBS-C, relatively common, it may not be hard to get. Let's start saving our pennies so we can afford it ;) Seriously, I hope I can afford to seriously try it.

I have suffered on and off with IBS but mine is IBS-D. I hope that this drug won't give me too bad side effects and could still work on my gut.

The Xifaxan (Rifaxamin) testimonial is very interesting too.

Waverunner

http://www.theflyonthewall.com/perm...expects-FDA-action-for-Aclidinium-Linaclotide

Forest Labs expects FDA action for Aclidinium, Linaclotide
NDA for Aclidinium was filed as planned in mid-2011, and the company expects FDA action in Q2. NDA for Linaclotide was filed in mid-2011, and the company also expects FDA action to come in Q2. Comments and guidance were taken from slides for the J.P. Morgan Annual Healthcare Conference. :theflyonthewall.com

Athene

ihateticks.me
Thanks for this relly exciting news Waverunner. I am really excited about this. I cannot wait to try this new drug!
I think leaky gut contributes a huge amount to CFS symptoms, food intolerances and allergies in general, and the general feeling of illbeing. (I know that word doesn't really exist but it should).

Waverunner

Thanks for this relly exciting news Waverunner. I am really excited about this. I cannot wait to try this new drug!
I think leaky gut contributes a huge amount to CFS symptoms, food intolerances and allergies in general, and the general feeling of illbeing. (I know that word doesn't really exist but it should).

Hi Athene,

I hope so much that you are right. If leaky gut plays an important role in our disease, this drug will help tremendously. If intestinal permeability however only plays a minor role...