1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Phoenix Rising Adds Two New Board Members
Mark Berry introduces the new President of Phoenix Rising, Dr. Gary Solomon, and welcomes Professor Jonathan Edwards to the Phoenix Rising Board of Directors.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Breakthrough: Brain Scan Images of Physical Pain

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Gemini, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Gemini

Gemini Senior Member

Sasha, Simon and Enid like this.
  2. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Interesting Gemini - I'm still longing to know what the "high intensity" spots on my own MRI brain scan are ten years on. Awful state then barely walking or speaking/thinking - this is a very important area of research.

3. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    Thanks - I read the transcript of her talk but didn't see this ref - on a slide?

fMRI comes of age?
    But what an amazing study, and published in the New England Journal of Medicine, the world's most prestigious medical journal. Across 4 studies they racked up 114 patients, which is very large by fMRI standards (and a good thing, as small fMRI studies are notorious for throwing up false positives)

Crucially, having established a signature in one group of patients, they could use that signature to accurately predict pain in different subjects. They also found that using painkillers not only dulled the pain but reduced the brain signal too, adding evidence that the brain signal is measuring something meaningful.

Would be great if a similar approach could be used in CFS research.

Sasha likes this.
  4. Gemini

Gemini Senior Member

Enid,

You're so right, important area, need much more research from neurologists using newest imaging technologies...

5. Gemini

Gemini Senior Member

Simon,

Dr. Unger referenced this NEJM study while she was on the panel during the discussion period. She seemed enthusiatic about its future possibilities in ME/CFS...

ME/CFS applications of the findings & technology would be great!

Simon likes this.
  6. Gemini

Gemini Senior Member

Simon,

You're so right! These researchers have not only discovered a way to measure(calibrate) the intensity of physical pain but excitingly watch treatments change it.

fMRI technology could address the central sensitization hypothesized in ME/CFS pain.

How can patients become part of future fMRI research studies I guess is my question?

Simon likes this.
  7. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    Interesting idea re pain sensitisation in CFS, and ultimately the wider sensitisation in CFS that is hypothesised too.

Think more work is needed to confirm the pain findings (as the authors noted) before applying to CFS. Then, we need lots of money! FMRI is vey expensive, but i think like most technology is getting cheaper (slowly), which will help the affordability of larger, more robust samples.

8. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Whilst I think this is a vital part of research and whilst my own brain MRI revealed "high intense" spots we are dealing with much more than "pain" - just about everything to do with autonomic functioning went "haywire". Just what is/was happening in the brain stem ? Perhaps this will move understanding forward hopefully whilst we seek relief from black holes, GI, cardiac and other dysfunctions.

See more popular forum discussions.