1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Breaking News: WPI research program has been closed

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by RustyJ, Oct 2, 2011.

1. RustyJ

RustyJ Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'

Brisbane, Aust
    http://treatingxmrv.blogspot.com/
  2. PokerPlayer

PokerPlayer Guest

Seattle, Washington
    What makes you so prescient of this? I don't like the tone of this post.
  3. LJS

LJS Insert Witty Comment Here

East Coast, USA
    I am actually happy to see the WPI shut down its research effort. I think they have handled XMRV just about as poorly as they possibly could. They have reached a point of no return, no one in the science community takes them seriously, if they did make another big discovery no one would believe them. They have made CFS research look like a joke to outsiders looking in and this whole thing has been coming to a breaking point for sometime. My only hope at this point is that they have not done more damage then good for CFS research.
  4. moonchild

moonchild

Australia
    The part i am really not understanding is that only yesterday i read that Dr. Mikovits had stated that the sequencing would be finished within a couple of weeks (i found this on here) - and Dr. Jamie's blog mentions knowing about this for a couple of weeks, which sounds like Dr. Mikovits would have known about the situation with the WPI at the time (and when she was presenting in Ottawa). Sorry in advance if i'm not making sense but i'm in shock and upset right now.
  5. RustyJ

Brisbane, Aust
    Is she saying this is an explanation of BWG WPI discrepancies? Mikovits trusted VIPdx, but VIPdx let her down?
  6. Kina

Kina Moderation Team Lead

Ontario, Canada
    This sounds really ominous. Well, I guess if information needs to come out, then it needs to come out. I never lose hope, ever.
  7. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    So does this mean no research but they still treat people??
    Its abit of a shock but not suprising i suppose
  8. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    The BS just never ends! Why oh why cannot humans just move ahead and do what needs to be done with out all these crazy personal/political obstacles? I wish we could just know the whole truth now, so we could move on.

I feel like I've been beaten up.
  9. markmc20001

markmc20001 Guest

Many lessons to be learned.

Please be prepared for the politics, media, and special interests if you are involved in trying to find the truth in CFS research. :(
  10. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    hugs for you, leela
  11. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    Thank you, Willow.
    And hugs for everyone, too.
    WillowJ and justinreilly like this.
  12. Andrew

Andrew Senior Member

Los Angeles, USA
    I didn't read it that way either. It says she did her own tests too. OTOH, her statement is sort of unclear.

Bummer news.
  13. RustyJ

Brisbane, Aust
    Actually, that's what I meant, the WPI tests were Mikovits tests, just not VIP dx tests. Sorry it is a bit confusing. It is arguable whether Mikovits will be able to take her tests with her, they probably will be kept by WPI, so they will be WPI tests. In my reading of it Mikovits tried to do the right thing by patients by declaring the VIP dx test invalid, but WPI didn't want to do this. Perhaps WPI did want to stop them, but in a way that didn't hurt them as much (hope I am not restating the obvious).

I guess the bad news coming could be a full retraction of Lombardi science paper.

If Silverman assays contaminated, Lombardi's (I think his were being used by VIP) assays not accurate, that's two-thirds of Science paper gone.

What a ride this has been for the last two years. I wouldn't have missed it for the world.
  14. justinreilly

justinreilly Stop the IoM & P2P! Adopt CCC!

NYC (& RI)
  15. RustyJ

Brisbane, Aust
  16. justinreilly

NYC (& RI)
    Me too....
  17. justinreilly

NYC (& RI)
    Thanks, I needed that. Will need some more in the coming days, I'm sure. Hugs out to everyone, too. :hug::hug::hug:
  18. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    The truth is always better. Ugly is OK for me as long as its factual. It is uncertainty that is the biggest issue for some of us. In my own case I can handle bad news easily - confused contradictory news however sets my brain into a spin. My reaction to the WPI news was a sad ironic laugh, I was more put out by the implications that the BWG results would be negative, while other pointers suggested it would be positive. For me the actual results were better than the confusion that preceded the announcement, regardless of the negative results. The history of CFS is full of disappointing things, this is just one more.

Counter-factual media claims are what annoy me, particularly hyperbolic ones. If the reporting is accurate I may not be happy but I accept it.

I do wish everyone involved the best, but we need the full story before we know how to react. The WPI has changed the face of ME and CFS research forever, regardless of how things turn out. More researchers are aware of the issues - I can only hope this bears fruit in time. My biggest concern at the moment is the implications this might have for the Lipkin study.

Bye
    Alex
    WillowJ likes this.
  19. Dreambirdie

Dreambirdie work in progress

N. California
    I am with you on this, Leela. As if we need more stress and confusion!

Just really truly absolutely insane.

PS... and yes, HUGS, BIG HUGS for all of us. :hug::hug::hug:

See more popular forum discussions.