The Power and Pitfalls of Omics: George Davey Smith’s storming talk at ME/CFS conference
Read about the talk that stole the show at a recent ME/CFS conference in Simon McGrath's two-part blog.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Brake dust may cause more problems than blackened wheel covers March 3, 2017

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by antares4141, Mar 3, 2017.

1. antares4141

antares4141 Senior Member

Truth or consequences, nm
  2. Rvanson

Rvanson Senior Member

USA
    antares4141 likes this.
  3. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    Those filters do nothing for people who live in houses on roads, and regularly walk along sidewalks..

4. Dainty

Dainty Senior Member

Seattle
    So, I wear a chemical cartridge respirator (gas mask) in most environments due to severe MCS. It has two parts to it: a pair of cartridges that filter out chemicals, and a pair of filters that go over the cartridges, which filter out particulates.

When I lived in the suburbs, the particulate filters would remain white - I never had to change them, ever. As in, years went by. And the air there wasn't always clean, we'd have temperature inversions that would deam it 'unsafe for sensitive people". I wore the filter mainly for cosmetic reasons, as they made the mask look nicer. In theory, they would make the cartridges last longer if there were particulates in the air.

When I moved to Seattle, within 3 months my filters were turning grey. Left longer, and they'd start turning black.

I suspect the dust from brakes and tires had a lot to do with it. *shudders*

antares4141 and Rvanson like this.
  5. Rvanson

Rvanson Senior Member

USA
    There is no denying that fact along with all the noise that vehicles make as well. Good point.

antares4141 likes this.
  6. Rvanson

Rvanson Senior Member

USA
    Yes, that likely did have a lot to do with that. The question is what can we do about it? People have to drive to work
    and trucks (and trains) emit brake dust, as well as cars, but we need them for daily living.

antares4141 likes this.
  7. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    Many people do not NEED to drive to work. Many people live within reasonable distances for electric bicycles. Secondly the reason why many may live so far away from work that they "need" to drive is due to poor urban planning. Building many cities based around the motorcar was likely a big mistake.

8. lauluce

lauluce as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope

argentina
    talking about substances and materials that can cause or worsen diseases, what do you think about deodorants with silver nanoparticles? I try to avoid them!

antares4141 likes this.
  9. Crux

Crux Senior Member

USA
    antares4141 likes this.
  10. antares4141

Probably an understatement.
    Make sure you change them occasionally! Actually this one had a rat's nest sitting on top of it. I thought I was going to have to quit using it or sell the car it wreaked so bad of decomposing flesh and urine.

If you have a Toyota Camry you need to put some mesh over the intake so rat's can't get in.

toyota filter copy.jpg

11. antares4141

Mine Camry is 2002, but read on toyota forums common among different models and years around 2000 and 2008 or so anyways. If you don't want to mess with the modification keeping your system set to recirculate will keep them out. Unless the nest is sitting right on top of the door thingy that closes off outside air. In which case they will fall down inside first time you set it to outside air.

cloth copy 2.jpg

lauluce likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.