• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Brain Overload

Carrigon

I have so much trouble just trying to make out a grocery store list. My brain just doesn't want to do it. Just simple things like that and my brain feels like it goes into overload. Filling out forms will do it to me, too. This awful feeling of adult aspergers or something. I can't make the brain do these things. It's like I'm forcing it.

I hate cognitive symptoms :(

paddygirl

Fried brain

I have so much trouble just trying to make out a grocery store list. My brain just doesn't want to do it. Just simple things like that and my brain feels like it goes into overload. Filling out forms will do it to me, too. This awful feeling of adult aspergers or something. I can't make the brain do these things. It's like I'm forcing it.

I hate cognitive symptoms :(

I know Carrigon, my house is stacked high with piles of undealt with paperwork, some of it the paperwork of Insurance refunds. I'm always amazed when I go into other peoples houses and they are empty except for the usual furniture etc. The awful thing about paperwork is that no one can do it for you. Just the sight of it makes me panicky.

Is there anywhere in/near your house where you feel peaceful and tranquil? For example your local library, I love mine, everything is free (except photocopying) , and the people there are lovely, with free use of the Internet Plus there is a calm air of endless time, no pressure. Could you bring one task there to do? Just one, and reward yourself with a long browse of the books.

I use the work/reward thing a lot, do something long overdue, and then I allow myself a look at the 'Greek houses for sale' website I love.

I think a considerable part of the problem which adds to the cognitive difficulties is that over time, many years of exhaustion with this condition (and often undiagnosed for years). Things tend to build up, to put it mildly. I moved into this house 16 years ago and parts have never been decorated. I never seem to have the stamina for long projects, and then everything seems huge even to get started on.

One thing that really clears my head is Yoga. I think it's because you realise after how trivial it all is really and you do have the skills and the time, its just that a tired mind builds it up to much more than it is. Another thing that helps is being somewhere beautiful, usually the woods and hills.

Wishing you the best Carrigon, be good to yourself.

Paddygirl

girlinthesnow

Some quiet time, meditation if I can manage will give me a little mental energy. It gets used up quickly though. I agree about letting the brain just do something pleasing and easy can help, looking at pictures, sometimes music, but sometimes definitely not music or just letting things drift for a bit. Certain times of the day are better for 'thinking', for me it is usually between 4 and 6 pm, I don't know why but my brain seems clearer and it is easier to do necessary paperwork or make phonecalls then.

Take care

Mithriel

Hard to explain, but I found that if I split a task down to a single variable I could manage it better.

I wasn't getting dressed because I couldn't think how to do it so I thought about what clothes there were - underwear, skirt, top. Then I got some out of the drawers then I laid them in order on the bed, then I was able to put them on - success :victory:

For shopping, I mentally walked through my local supermarket writing down everything I ever bought. I was able to look at the list and think if I needed it whereas my mind went blank if I tried to do it from scratch. My husband laminated it and put it on a keyring so I could carry it with me. I also carried a plan and map for getting home and a card that said I couldn't speak but I could hear - my speech would go without warning and it could be very embarrassing.

When I had my family (pre computer days) I had a filofax with sections where I put lists for everything. Clothes to wear in summer, clothes to wear in winter, I was able to look down it and think what each child needed. I had lists of what to do if they went to a birthday party or a school outing or what to take on a picnic. It was a struggle to fill in the first time but with three children I used them for years.

Now it's just my husband and me at home, life is easier even though I am much sicker, but I still have my lists (on computer now) and I write everything down as it comes to me as I forget everything.

Just remembered, I have notices to hang on my door handles that say things like "window open". Back in the day we had one for "budgie out of cage" and "toddler behind door open carefully"

It's only when you think of what we have to do to get by that you realise just how difficult this illness is to cope with.

Mithriel

HopingSince88

Carrigon,
Lists drive me over the edge. I am completely overwhelmed whenever I have a list of things to accomplish.

My first approach was to not write a list. The problem with that is that nothing gets done at all. Flying by the seat of your pants eventually catches up to you...and the resulting mess is more overwhelming than that list in the first place.

To help me with lists I devised a couple of new approaches, and use the one that is best for the circumstance.

I write a very brief list...only the most important things go here. I then pick the most important thing to get done and do my best to accomplish it. I allow myself to ignore all other items on the list until I have more energy to deal with another item.

If I have a long list or a more complex project which requires some prioritizing and sequencing...this is the kind that really overwhelms! - I write one task or small number of steps on one sticky, and do the same for each step on a separate sticky. I then put the stickies in order top to bottom. Then I put the stickies into a 5x7 notebook, one on each page. After the stickies are placed in order in the notebook I can forget everything except the top sticky and just do that one thing.

It is awful how easily I/we are overwhelmed. This is one of the worst symptoms for me.

xchocoholic

You could have action myoclonus too ... This is a neurological problem that leads to anxiety when our bodies won't co-operate.

http://neurology.health-cares.net/myoclonus-types.php

I have this type and nocturnal myoclonus (NM). So far, removing gluten from my diet, controlling my chronic hypoglycemia via the Paleo / low carb diet, adding in EFAs like fish oil and using Theanine for REM induced noctural myoclonus have helped ...

My hands still shake when I try to do my nails, eyebrows or write for any length of time. I've never tried taking Theanine during the day though to see if it would help ... Theanine is a natural treatment for seizures and it's been working for my NM for a year now.

BTW. I've had a variety of seizure problems at least since I was a toddler so this may never clear up for me.

X