1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

"Brain on Fire: The Role of Toxic Mold in Triggering Psychiatric Symptoms"

Discussion in 'Addressing Biotoxin, Chemical & Food Sensitivities' started by slayadragon, Mar 18, 2014.

1. slayadragon

slayadragon Senior Member

twitpic.com/photos/SlayaDragon
    A new Paradigm Change blog (3/17/14): Integrative psychiatrist (and Shoemaker certified physician) Dr. Mary Ackerley talks about her observations and about the medical literature on the topic of how toxic mold can trigger "psychiatric" symptoms in affected individuals.

http://paradigmchange.me/wp/?p=596

Attached Files:

2. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Good article, and great to see a doctor interested in uncovering any possible biotoxin causes of the mental symptoms of her patients, interested in how high levels of certain inflammatory cytokines in the brain can lead to mental symptoms, interested in using mold detoxifying agents like cholestyramine, and interested in suggesting diets and supplements that reduce levels of brain inflammation that are likely causing the mental symptoms.

I like this excerpt from the article, about how she treated a suspect mold exposure patient:
    slayadragon likes this.
  3. Soundthealarm21

Soundthealarm21 Senior Member

Dallas, TX
    @slayadragon

My doctor sent me this article a few days ago. I was able to say I'd already read it a week ago because of you haha.

I also gave it to my psychiatrist and he was very very interested in it.
    slayadragon likes this.
  4. slayadragon

So happy to hear that mental health professionals are taking this seriously!
  5. Thomas

Thomas

Ontario
    @slayadragon or anyone else....
    Anybody here with ME who lives in a low-ermi or hertsmi house take cholestyramine and actually feel better?? I have an Rx sitting here but am afraid to try it because so many people report feeling worse. Much worse.

Thanks for posting that article though - very informative and interesting :)
  6. slayadragon

It really depends on how reactive you are. I was not able to take csm until I got very clear -- e.g. tent camping in a location with really good air. But other people with less severe reactivity than I used to have are able to take it in less pristine places.
    Dr. Ackerley more focuses on patients with mood disorders rather than M.E. My feeling is that M.E. patients tend to be more toxic and thus might have a more difficult time with csm.
  7. Thomas

Thomas

Ontario
    Thanks @slayadragon I agree with you. I suspect I'm reactive - I'll try a teaspoon of CSM today and see how it goes.
    slayadragon likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.