• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Brain Inflammation linked to CFS - Kenneth Friedman (video)

leela

Ken really does so much good work for ME, all the time. Thank you for posting this short yet pithy and accurate explanation of our brain and CNS inflammatory condition.

ahmo

@heapsreal I'm unable to watch the vid, so apologize if my response is not to the point. In the vid below Dr. Theoharides talks about mast cell release of histamines in the hippocampus. Brain Inflammation. I generally avoid specially formulated products, but decided to go for his Neuroprotek, which he speaks about in 2nd vid. I've found it fabulous. As soon as I began it I was able to quit the hypothalamus glandular that had been part of my life support system. And I think some other supps, can't remember.

I've been using it about a year. Some days I need none, some I need a couple.I'm generally able to identify a type of fuzziness in my head that indicates I should take it. I've also found that if my mind is in out-of-control chatter mode, I can take one and be quieter within 15 minutes. Including in the middle of the night. It was recognizing how persistent the mind chatter was that inspired me to tryi it in the first instance. I love this product.

‪‘Brain Allergy’ and ASD - T. Theoharides, MD, PhD‬https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9QbZp3WcC1Q

Neuroprotek http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=pNQsK9PQL3c

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
@ahmo basically say what and where inflammation was happening, not really how such as histamine you suggest.

could be why antihistamine help many of us sleep too. For me antihistamines arent very sedating at all but with a benzo I sleep longer and deeper. Very different if I take antihistamines alone.

I have a feeling inflammation is from a combo of9f a few different sources that vary alot. I also think infection also cause alot of this
inflammation.

we need a one pill that hits all these inflammatory causes.

heapsreal

what about the 53% increase in risk of Alzheimer's or incidence of AD from klonopin and especially long term us of benzas and long half life benzas from this Canadian study?
these longitudinal studies like the Framingham study seem to be very important and are used for new clinical practice

When I see studies saying benzos or sleep meds increase the risk of some neurological condition, I cant help but think maybe insomnia and no adequate treatment is the cause not the benzo.

There is a lot of research showing reducing the amount of sleep one has raises inflammation and increases many cardiovascular risk factors.

so we need to wat both up.

nandixon

One possibility might be a tetracycline antibiotic, particularly minocycline. It's a potent anti-neuroinflammatory drug in addition to its better known antibiotic effect. The anti-neuroinflammatory effect is mainly with respect to inhibiting activation of microglia, I believe.

It was used in a very interesting animal model theory presented in a research paper which was the topic of this thread:
Immune-induced model of CFS - Interleukin-1 in brain may trigger fatigue (2014)

I gave a post on that same thread here in an attempt to give a simple explanation of the paper and, possibly, the practical implications.

Iquitos

I can't prove it but I think my use of medical cannabis, high in CBD and low in THC, is helping with my brain inflammation, which I have long known to exist.

I haven't noticed that my memory problems are better but all other aspects of brain fog are better. I can think better and quicker, I can type with fewer errors and at a much faster rate. I still am easily distractible but not nearly as easily as before I started growing and using my own medical cannabis.

physicsstudent13

I have read that doxycycline and minocycline have these neuro protective effects, but I didn't notice much on minocycline though it did help the infection I had. Also rocephin seems to help more. I have more normal brain function on klonopin+gabapentin from this horrid sleep disorder but I just might be cured on tracheostomy rather than have my life destroyed by Alzheimer's.
I wake up with headaches from the hypoxia and just drained and exhausted and was diagnosed with sleep apnea at a lab

perchance dreamer

The Longvida form of turmeric crosses the BBB and is thought to reduce inflammation in the brain. It has really helped me with a short-term memory problem.

heapsreal

The drug memantine which is used in several neurological conditions is known to reduce tnf alpha, an inflammatory cytokine which is commonly high in cfs/me. Its said to have neuroprotective effects.

Maybe need to look into drugs used for other neurological conditions that may be helpful for us as many are about controlling inflammation and cytokines.