• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Brain fog and exercise research

I found this paper looking at brain metabolism after exercise that might help explain high fog after exertion.. Most interestingly, they look at a differences in brain metabolism related to effort that requires "will" to continue. Also looks at differences in moving upper body vs lower. https://www.physiology.org/doi/pdf/10.1152/japplphysiol.00450.2004

CFS/ME people tend to have had high abilities of pushing past obstacles, according to many things I have read. This research looks specifically at some effects...

I have to delay sharing a summary of the useful bits for a day when it is easier for me, but wanted to start discussion on my current explorations which are focused on ways to improve pacing by understanding the intricacies of physiology behind it.

If you come across other articles looking at specifics of energy metabolism beyond the usual glycolysis definitions, maybe we can discover something.

This is another one I found recently. A chapter on Lactic Acid Threshold http://www.owascoveloclub.com/Education_files/13 Lactate Threshold.pdf Provides more specifics than biochemistry or nutrition textbooks in understandable way (written for cyclists). Explains why entire body gets fatigued, even of you exhaust only one set of muscles. I have notes to share on this as well when I am up to it.

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
That´s a nice guess with lactate coming into the brain, very smart.
Maybe because I was used to such efforts since I was still a child, I would attenuate lactate production? I could still work even when I was very bad for five years.

In my opinion our fatique is indeed not caused in the muscles (in accordance to the first article). It feels like so because every feeling is made by the brain. However, I could not think anymore and now (inasmuch as I feel better from a diet) my brain is searching for normality.
Beyond glycolysis (in my observations and readings): I think but clearly enough it would be nitric oxide, and it alters all classical nerve-neurotransmitter-systems, causing - roughly said - too much action potential, which would lead to chaos (I think our exhaustion is more chaos than a real exhaustion of energy.) This is a nice exlanation for pem, too, as after some effort all this too high upregulated actionpotential makes your feel exhausted, but not tired because the mechansm of tiredness is overcome by the mechanism of "still more actionpotential" (the disease, ongoing nitric oxide). This has been first guessed in 2004.
It would be needed - to make the explanation propper for our empirics (kind of past) - that the proceeding of the acts can arrive later on (say one day later), and might even conflict with other experiences (from say two days ago, that are driven to too high actionpotential, too). At least this first one is easily thinkable, and rather logical (but I doubt that there has been any research in this particular respect). Otherwise it would not happen to be clear with something after some days, and you learn best if you rest for some days.

Particularly: The first article is written in a complicate manner. They say but: Mental effort during physiological exercise - the will to continue to a certain time but not the physiological effort itself - changes the metabolic rate (O2/glucose+lactate) in the brain, ie more lactate and glucose are around.

They expected then that the arm exercise would lead to more decrease of this ratio than the leg exercise, because there are more fine muscles in the arms, and the area in the brain is more extended. But this is not what happend, instead there is less decrease.
Here I have a guess, suffering m
yself from more leg pain than arm pain: The area for the legs is higher placed, rather on the top of the brain. More neuronal combinations were required to bring this area in harmony. The nerves on the top required to a certain amount all the ones that are located lower to.
The brain would have directions comperable to a planet. It may seem strange. On the other hand it would easily lead to a cosmic principle of energy flow. With our illness it would mean, that only the fact that we are consiousnes of our body would lead to missfeelings.

Last edited: