• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Brain feels enflamed

Old Bones

@hamsterman Yes, I have often used the word "inflamed" to describe my head (brain) feeling thick/congested, dull and warm. I haven't associated the sensation with anxiety -- something I've thankfully largely avoided. But like you, it is usually worst in the morning for the first couple of hours after waking up.

Effi

I have this too, but mainly when I concentrate on something. Concentrating on anything makes it worse. I don't think there's a time schedule but there are days when it's better and others when it's worse. It feels exactly the same as tissue inflammation anywhere else in the body. The core of this sensation is right under the crown of my skull and it radiates outwards. The only thing that makes it slightly better is rest.

helperofearth123

It may well be inflamed. I had a lumbar puncture and they drained some of my cerebral spinal fluid. I felt a moderate improvement after this and they said it could be due to neuroinflammation and giving my brain more space helped it. The effects of lumbar puncture only last a few days unfortunately.

When I get PEM I feel like my brain swells up, probably because it has swollen up! But it feels a bit like that all the time whether i exercise or not.

Last edited:

wastwater

I'm often uncomfortably hot,is this similar to those on chemotherapy,they sometimes wear cold head caps maybe that would help

Dechi

Sometimes I feel shivers in my brain, especially when I have an emotion. I also get a raise in body temperature, for maybe 30-60 seconds, and it takes me a few minutes to cool down.

lafarfelue

Yes, I experience some kind of odd sensation or multiple kinds of sensations in my skull.

When I was getting a bit better after my first huge crash, I would often have a feeling that I could only describe as "my brains feel like scrambled eggs?". Sometimes it feels overheated as well. I've had a concussion before, and I can only liken it to that... but I definitely haven't fallen on my head these last few times it's happened.

This sensation would arise when I was straining myself mentally or was dealing with highly emotional situations. It would take time, real rest and solid sleep for it to dissipate. At least a few days, sometimes a couple of weeks. I haven't felt such an extreme sensation my skull for the past few months, except for when I recently, briefly tried taking GABA.. but that was again slightly different sensation? I don't know.

It feels weird trying to explain the sensation. I honestly feel like no one around me would believe me when/if I do talk about it, so I'm glad there are others here who experience at least something similar!

Cortisol level is high in the morning. It peaks at 9am. I think it either makes you active or if something goes wrong - it kills you slowly. I don't know what your activity level is but in my case I try to pretend that I am doing something at least and I feel a bit better.

Cinders66

Yes brain inflammation and along the spine /central inflammation are "sensations " which I think are great red big arrows suggesting what's going wrong in me

I've been using nasal insulin for about 6 months. It seems to have really helped my brain, the feeling of static in my head. I dilute, as recommended in some of the comments of the forum discussion.

http://www.lostfalco.com/intranasal-insulin/

http://www.healthrising.org/forums/threads/the-benefits-of-intranasal-insulin.4820/#post-23758

This is on my list of nootropics to try, it's next. I used N-Acetyl Semax Amidate for a few months and am now using Orexin-A which is great so far.

Wishful

I don't recall my brain feeling inflamed, but at times it feels like there's something like pressure. What it feels like is wearing a slightly too-small motorcycle helmet: just a constant pressure, and at some point I desperately want to take it off!

Seven7

Seven
Mine gets definitely inflamed. Usually when I overdo something to do with inmune system, I know a few triggers like folic acid no idea why but I cannot tolerate., If it gets too bad I loose consciousness. Try ice in the iorta (will vassoncontrict and help) I also do ice on the neck or spine area and it helps.

What I feel is cranial nerves paresthesia. It correlates with wet legs feeling and overloading phenomena.

*GG*

I don't recall my brain feeling inflamed, but at times it feels like there's something like pressure.

What it feels like is wearing a slightly too-small motorcycle helmet: just a constant pressure, and at some point I desperately want to take it off!

Totally relate with the post! @Wishful

GG

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
This seems rather familiar somehow
brain_fire-608x330.jpg

I also have this "burning" sensations with ME which take place mainly in the head but also in the neck. This usually occur when I got stress or even in reading/concentrate. Especially when I am sourrounded by a lot of people or complex things there is some kind of over-exertion to the brain. It`s so horrible....