The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Brain feels enflamed

Discussion in 'Cognition' started by hamsterman, Mar 29, 2017.

1. hamsterman

hamsterman

Los Angeles
    I know we can't really feel our brain... but I get this sensation a lot, especially in the morning. And it typically is associated with brain fog and anxiety. Just wondering if others get this feeling.

Mel9, lemonworld, Sancar and 3 others like this.
  2. Old Bones

Old Bones Senior Member

@hamsterman Yes, I have often used the word "inflamed" to describe my head (brain) feeling thick/congested, dull and warm. I haven't associated the sensation with anxiety -- something I've thankfully largely avoided. But like you, it is usually worst in the morning for the first couple of hours after waking up.

Snow Leopard, Sancar and Jan like this.
  3. Effi

Effi Senior Member

Europe
    I have this too, but mainly when I concentrate on something. Concentrating on anything makes it worse. I don't think there's a time schedule but there are days when it's better and others when it's worse. It feels exactly the same as tissue inflammation anywhere else in the body. The core of this sensation is right under the crown of my skull and it radiates outwards. The only thing that makes it slightly better is rest.

Sancar, Old Bones and Jan like this.
  4. Matthew Jones

Matthew Jones Senior Member

It may well be inflamed. I had a lumbar puncture and they drained some of my cerebral spinal fluid. I felt a moderate improvement after this and they said it could be due to neuroinflammation and giving my brain more space helped it. The effects of lumbar puncture only last a few days unfortunately.

When I get PEM I feel like my brain swells up, probably because it has swollen up! But it feels a bit like that all the time whether i exercise or not.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    Sancar, Old Bones, Jan and 1 other person like this.
  5. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    I'm often uncomfortably hot,is this similar to those on chemotherapy,they sometimes wear cold head caps maybe that would help

6. Dechi

Dechi Senior Member

Sometimes I feel shivers in my brain, especially when I have an emotion. I also get a raise in body temperature, for maybe 30-60 seconds, and it takes me a few minutes to cool down.

lemonworld likes this.
  7. lafarfelue

lafarfelue Senior Member

Australia
    Yes, I experience some kind of odd sensation or multiple kinds of sensations in my skull.

When I was getting a bit better after my first huge crash, I would often have a feeling that I could only describe as "my brains feel like scrambled eggs?". Sometimes it feels overheated as well. I've had a concussion before, and I can only liken it to that... but I definitely haven't fallen on my head these last few times it's happened.

This sensation would arise when I was straining myself mentally or was dealing with highly emotional situations. It would take time, real rest and solid sleep for it to dissipate. At least a few days, sometimes a couple of weeks. I haven't felt such an extreme sensation my skull for the past few months, except for when I recently, briefly tried taking GABA.. but that was again slightly different sensation? I don't know.

It feels weird trying to explain the sensation. I honestly feel like no one around me would believe me when/if I do talk about it, so I'm glad there are others here who experience at least something similar!

lemonworld likes this.
  8. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    Sancar likes this.
  9. mhrps

mhrps

Cortisol level is high in the morning. It peaks at 9am. I think it either makes you active or if something goes wrong - it kills you slowly. I don't know what your activity level is but in my case I try to pretend that I am doing something at least and I feel a bit better.

10. Marco

Marco Grrrrrrr!

Near Cognac, France
    I'm eager to see the results of a trial of intranasal insulin for Gulf War Illness :

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01802944

11. Cinders66

Cinders66 Senior Member

Yes brain inflammation and along the spine /central inflammation are "sensations " which I think are great red big arrows suggesting what's going wrong in me

Keats likes this.
  12. Hyperflux

Hyperflux

This is on my list of nootropics to try, it's next. I used N-Acetyl Semax Amidate for a few months and am now using Orexin-A which is great so far.

Sancar likes this.
  13. hamsterman

hamsterman

Los Angeles
    Yes, I have a cold head cap, and cooling towels for this... it helps.

14. Wishful

Wishful Senior Member

I don't recall my brain feeling inflamed, but at times it feels like there's something like pressure. What it feels like is wearing a slightly too-small motorcycle helmet: just a constant pressure, and at some point I desperately want to take it off!

*GG*, Webdog and ljimbo423 like this.
  15. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    Mine gets definitely inflamed. Usually when I overdo something to do with inmune system, I know a few triggers like folic acid no idea why but I cannot tolerate., If it gets too bad I loose consciousness. Try ice in the iorta (will vassoncontrict and help) I also do ice on the neck or spine area and it helps.

16. mhrps

mhrps

What I feel is cranial nerves paresthesia. It correlates with wet legs feeling and overloading phenomena.

17. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    Totally relate with the post! @Wishful

GG

18. Alvin2

Alvin2 If humans were rational...

This seems rather familiar somehow
    [​IMG]

*GG* likes this.
  19. Matt_B

Matt_B

Germany
    I also have this "burning" sensations with ME which take place mainly in the head but also in the neck. This usually occur when I got stress or even in reading/concentrate. Especially when I am sourrounded by a lot of people or complex things there is some kind of over-exertion to the brain. It`s so horrible....

Mel9 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.