• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

BP how low is too low?

taniaaust1

I get high BP when I stand and low when I lay. Today I'd done 10mins or so gardening and then had to come inside and rest but decided to check out what this exercise (I rarely do gardening) had done to my BP (as I expected it to be high due to having been standing just before and would rapidly within minutes, come down while I rested).

As expected, my first reading was high (diastolic 95) then thou I started getting shaky (my head was starting to shake) so took my BP again to see how it had shifted. After it erroring out 4 times straight, after about 5mins, I finally got another reading and my dystolic was now at only 47 ..guess that explains why I was starting to get shakes (my systolic was fine..its the dystolic I have more issues with).

Are BP drops like that when resting any cause for concern? Is there at any point of low BP one should worry about? (I noticed a similar sudden fall like this too a few weeks ago. I rarely take my BP so it could be doing this quite a bit).

hurtingallthetimet

taniaaaust1 please go to your doctor or call tehm and make sure..that 47 sounds extrememly low...

im sorry i dont recall my bp all the time...i dont have a bp thing to check...i have been to doctor and one a while back did a lay down sit up test...and she was alarmed on said it was extremely low and dropped an extreme amount..she said i must be dehydrated and gave me fluids...

cant recall who it was on which support board...had menitoned pots oi to me and said i have alot of the symptoms for it as i guess they have it also...maybe you have that? where you bp drops doing something...sitting etc...

sorry if you were the one who suggested i tlak to my doctor and you have the pots oi...i forget sometiems...

but in any case that does sound low..but im not a doctor...have you looked up on internet? if you dont go in to see your doctor you should call so that they can document it in case when you do go back to see them you forget to bring it up and ask..

hope you feel better take care

Calathea

I had 90/42 not too long ago and the doctor wasn't worried. I'm not sure at what point we should be worrying either. I think doctors tend to be less interested than they should be in low blood pressure.