1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 2: Pathogens and the Gut
Mark Berry continues his series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with the emphasis shifting from autoimmunity to pathogens and the gut ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

'Bottled mucus' may help gut disease

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by Sushi, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    'Bottled mucus' may help gut disease

By James GallagherHealth and science reporter, BBC News
    Bottled mucus may one day play a role in some gut diseases, according to US researchers.
    A study of the slimy lining of the bowels, published in the journal Science, showed mucus had a role in calming the immune system.
    The team at Mount Sinai Hospital, in New York, believe it may be useful in diseases in which inflammation runs rampant in the intestines. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24273607
  2. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    It's always wonderful when new treatment options are identified and explored.

But I do wish that they would focus on the root cause for the inflammation rather than just developing a new drug to treat the symptoms.

Ema
  3. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque

Somewhere in the whole story I believe it says that this is part of ongoing research that would explore root causes more. The "Science Reporter" is likely to focus on immediate applications, I'd guess.

I also found this interesting:
    KDM et al found that we have too many dendritic cells in the duodenom.

Sushi
    Little Bluestem and Sparrowhawk like this.
  4. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    I just wish they would come up with things with less of an 'ick' factor. First fecal transplants and now this. :aghhh:

See more popular forum discussions.