• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

'Bottled mucus' may help gut disease

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
'Bottled mucus' may help gut disease

By James GallagherHealth and science reporter, BBC News
Bottled mucus may one day play a role in some gut diseases, according to US researchers.
A study of the slimy lining of the bowels, published in the journal Science, showed mucus had a role in calming the immune system.
The team at Mount Sinai Hospital, in New York, believe it may be useful in diseases in which inflammation runs rampant in the intestines. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24273607

Ema

It's always wonderful when new treatment options are identified and explored.

But I do wish that they would focus on the root cause for the inflammation rather than just developing a new drug to treat the symptoms.

Ema

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
It's always wonderful when new treatment options are identified and explored.

But I do wish that they would focus on the root cause for the inflammation rather than just developing a new drug to treat the symptoms.

Ema

Somewhere in the whole story I believe it says that this is part of ongoing research that would explore root causes more. The "Science Reporter" is likely to focus on immediate applications, I'd guess.

I also found this interesting:
Lead researcher Dr Andrea Cerutti told the BBC: "We were able to show its (a mucus protein called MUC2)ability to dampen the immune reaction in a specific type of immune cell, a dendritic cell, which orchestrates the immune response.

KDM et al found that we have too many dendritic cells in the duodenom.

Sushi

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I just wish they would come up with things with less of an 'ick' factor. First fecal transplants and now this. :aghhh: