Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Boston Area Preliminary Research Subjects Welcome (VanElzakker)

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by RivkaRivka, Jun 15, 2016.

1. RivkaRivka

RivkaRivka Senior Member

BOSTON AREA PRELIMINARY RESEARCH SUBJECTS WELCOME

Michael VanElzakker of Tufts University, Harvard Medical School and Massachusetts General Hospital would welcome two types of Boston-area (Boston, Massachusetts, USA) people willing to be scanned with a PET MR machine.

1. Healthy controls (ideally, at this time, seeking a fit and healthy woman in her 50s)
    2. ME/CFS patients (must have an MD-confirmed diagnosis of ME/CFS)

Info on PET MR scans found here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positron_emission_tomography–magnetic_resonance_imaging
    http://www.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/martinos/news/100831.php

These scans will help Dr. VanElzakker gather preliminary data that could support an NIH grant proposal. (See attached PDF for more details.)

For those who don’t know, Michael VanElzakker is a friend of the ME/CFS community. This is a paper he wrote hypothesizing that vagus nerve infection may cause ME/CFS:
    http://www.pdf-archive.com/2013/06/23/vanelzakker-vnih-cfs-in-press

This study is part of the effort to test that hypothesis.

Those interested in doing the scan can contact:
    vanelzak [at] nmr.mgh.harvard [dot] edu

Please note: VanElzakker is a PhD not an MD, so please don't contact him for clinical appointments or for medical advice.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  2. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    Might participate if I lived in Boston, but only $100 for 2 visits and 4 hours of my time, and dealing traffic. Kind of lousy compensation!

They probably pay for parking, or at least I hope so!

GG

3. Sushi

Sushi Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    @Rose49 Has Ron's team considered the theory of a vagus nerve infection as a cause? I wonder if he and Dr. VanElzakker are in touch?

4. Kati

Kati Patient in training

Hi @*GG* I bet that some patients would be ready to come from well outside the state in order to get a *free* PET scan in order to advance science. It is a golden opportunity for patients and it is also an opportunity for researchers and new collaborators to enter the field.

Perhaps you could consider fundraising for your costs, if you wish to participate (go fundme)

In my case I live on the left coast and it's way too far for my current condition to consider travel, but If I could, I would seriously consider it.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
    Justin30, RL_sparky and Comet like this.
  5. Justin30

Justin30 Senior Member

If someone could please correct the email address so that it can be copies that would be greatly appreaciated making it easier for us.

Thank you

6. Justin30

Justin30 Senior Member

This is absolutely great news I would like to see them include a SPECT Scan to highlight if their is hyperperfusion as well as to verify the findings of top and long contributing ME/CFS Clinicians:

Dr. Byron Hyde Ottawa Ontario

Dr. Jay Golstein

This would some up all 3 imaging techniques that have been shown to highlights problems in the brains of ME patients.

7. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Here is what the attachment says:

See more popular forum discussions.