May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Borrelia – In the Lymelight

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Phoenix Rising Team, Mar 8, 2013.

1. merylg

merylg Senior Member

Sydney, NSW, Australia
  2. duncan

duncan Senior Member

This seems like progress to me, so a big thumbs up. At least they are acknowledging Borrelia, although a different species.

There is an argument that says researchers should be embracing the term Borrelia and deep-sixing Lyme. As I understand it, I think, technically, they misuse the term; Bb sensu lato is not the aetiological agent of Lyme - one species from the group, sensu stricto, is Lyme, in the strictest sense of the word Lyme. But it is understood that b garinii and afzelii also fall under the Lyme heading. The problem is, that is too restrictive, since there are other Borrelia species that are pathogenic beyond those three. I think in total there are seven acknowledged to be pathogenic, but those are only the ones discovered to date. The idea of a new species of Borrelia, in a country known for breaking all the species rules, does not seem all that far fetched.That's part of the justification for getting rid of Lyme, and embracing Borrelia instead.

Regardless, I interpret this as heading in the right direction.

merylg likes this.
  3. merylg

merylg Senior Member

Sydney, NSW, Australia
  4. merylg

merylg Senior Member

Sydney, NSW, Australia
  5. Mel9

Mel9 Senior Member

NSW Australia
    GcMAF Australia and merylg like this.
  6. merylg