1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Phoenix Rising Adds Two New Board Members
Mark Berry introduces the new President of Phoenix Rising, Dr. Gary Solomon, and welcomes Professor Jonathan Edwards to the Phoenix Rising Board of Directors.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Borrelia – In the Lymelight

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Phoenix Rising Team, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Ecoclimber

Ecoclimber Senior Member

Mercer Island Wa
    Patients with Lyme disease can be misdiagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome!

A case of Lyme disease requiring over 1 year to diagnose at an infectious-disease clinic
    Abstract

A 42-year-old woman presenting with years of fever and vague symptoms could not be satisfactorily diagnosed in physical examination or conventional workups. She was presumptively diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome and treated symptomatically. Fourteen months after the initial visit, she developed left facial palsy. Lyme disease serology was positive. Four weeks of oral amoxicillin ameliorated symptoms. Only 5 to 15 cases of Lyme disease are reported annually in Japan, mostly from the northeastern-most island of Hokkaido. It may occur anywhere in Japan, however; probably is underdiagnosed. Lyme disease may cause fevers of unknown origin. Astute clinical suspicion and appropriate workups are thus needed to diagnose this infection.

Eco
    GcMAF Australia and merylg like this.
  2. GcMAF Australia

GcMAF Australia Senior Member

There was a lot more said at the conference and so i am slowly getting it together
    merylg likes this.
  3. kolowesi

kolowesi Senior Member

Central Texas
    Great article. I satisfy criteria for ME/CFS and for Lyme. Testing issues:
    1. I had less than 1/4 normal absolute B cell count when tested at 18 months. Wouldn't this affect an antibody test?
    2. My blood cells blow up starting at 2 hours. (Babesia?) Wouldn't this affect any test requiring whole blood, which is supposed to be good for 24 hours?
    3. Western Blot, I had one band year 8 (under Montoya) Quest test. I had two bands (under Lerner) year 9 Labcorp. Neither doctor diagnosed Lyme or did further testing. Year 9 new doctor thought I had Lyme. Year 10, Igenex western blot positive IgM (by current CDC bands, one band short at the time) for Lyme.
    4. Treatment can interfere with test results. Supposedly best to take antibiotics a few weeks to get the Lyme out of hiding, then go off, then test. I think.
    5. Co-infections can interfere with test results. I have had reactivated EBV (positive IgM), active CMV and enterovirus (in stomach lining), positive HHV-6a according to research labs, positive mycolplasma by IgM. Many of these interfere with immune response or shift a person to Th-2 dominant.
    6. Biofilms can affect test results. I take fibrinolytic enzymes an hour before antibiotics (pharma and herbal) and I get a herx if I'm doing this and have been off antibiotics, but not if I don't take the enzymes.

This is all just personal experience based on 15 years of trying to find out what's going on. Best to all who struggle and check hormones because you can have adrenal insufficiency, pituitary dysfunction and hormonal problems which will cause depression. That and lack of treatment, lack of support, and lack of money can lead a person to despair.
    roxie60, cigana, JT1024 and 4 others like this.
  4. merylg

merylg Senior Member

Sydney, NSW, Australia
    justy and snowathlete like this.
  5. anniekim

anniekim Senior Member

U.K
    I did some testing with infectolab recently and don't know what to make of my results (been ill for 14 years, currently bedridden). I had no igg antibodies to borrelia but did have igm ospc to borrelia garni and band 41 (which I know is not specific). My LTT elispot was negative.

I've read that you can have reactive igm's/repeatedly igms in late Lyme which then makes it impossible to differentiate between whether it is an early or late infection. Does anyone know if you have reactivating late igms as mentioned by Burrascno, would you then not have iggs? Are they mutually exclusive so to speak? Many thanks in advance.
  6. GcMAF Australia

Annie
    i emailed this question to the CEO of infectolabs. maybe he will answer for you?

GcMAF
    anniekim and merylg like this.
  7. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    All my samples to be tested for lyme currently on way to a lab interstate. Now I just got to wait to find out if they show up anything.
    merylg likes this.
  8. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    I thought the same when I read about that.
    GcMAF Australia likes this.
  9. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    i just had a thought GcMAF.. I was thinking that seeing around 50% of CFS patients here in Sth Australia have been found to have Rickettsia (a finding by Dr John Graham who got hundreds of CFS patients tested).. I guess it is highly likely those ones also have lyme. (my past Rickettsia testing thou was negative)
    cigana and GcMAF Australia like this.
  10. GcMAF Australia

I think I would agree Tania
  11. anniekim

anniekim Senior Member

U.K
    Gcmaf Australia, that's really kind of you to email this question to the CEO of infectolabs. I hope he answers as I will be very interested to hear his reply. Many thanks
    GcMAF Australia likes this.
  12. JT1024

JT1024 Senior Member

Massachusetts
    I'm trying to learn what I can about Lyme now. I tested positive by IGeneX for Lyme (Western Blot), Anaplasmosis, and Babesia in the last month.

In February, my tests included elevated titers for EBV, HHV-6, Mycoplasma, and Chlaymydia. I have not started antibiotics yet but feel like crap. Too tired and stupid to put one foot in front of the other right now.

My dog (my avatar) had anaplasmosis so it was not surprising when I tested positive as well.
  13. GcMAF Australia

Here is the email
    Here is some literature about isolated IgM as a sign for persisting Lyme:

Craft J, Fischer DK, Shimamoto GT, Steere AC. 1986. J. Clin.Invest.1978: 934-939. Antigens ofBorrellaburgdorferi Recognized during Lyme Disease appearance of a new Immunoglobulin M response and expansion of the immunoglobulin G response late in the illness​
    Oksi J, Uksila J, Marjamäki M, NikoskelainenJ,Viljanen MK. 1995. J ClinMicrobiol. September: 33(9): 2260-2264. Antibodies against Whole SonicatedBorreliaburgdorferiSpirochetes, 41-Kilodalton Flagellin, and P39 Protein in Patientswith PCR- or Culture-ProvenLateLymeBorreliosis​
    Kalish RA, McHugh G, Granquist J, Shea B, Ruthazer R, Steere AC. Clinical InfectiousDiseases. 2001: 33:780-785 PersistenceofImmunoglobulin M orImmunoglobulin G Antibody Responses toBorreliaburgdorferi 10–20 Years after ActiveLymeDisease​
    Lomholt H. et al. 2000 Sep-Oct. Acta Derm. Venereol.: 80(5): 362-6. Long-termserologicalfollow-upofpatientstreatedforchroniccutaneousBorreliosisofculture-positive erythemamigrans​
    Seriburi V, Ndukwe N, Chang Z, Cox ME, Wormser GP (2011) High frequencyoffalse positive IgM​
    ImmunoblotsforBorreliaburgdorferi in Clinical Practice. ClinMicrobiolInfect , European Society of Clinical MicrobiologyandInfectiousDiseases. 10.1111/j.1469-0691.2011.03749.x​
    Racine R., McLaughlin M. Jonesa DD. et al. (2011) IgMProductionbyBoneMarrowPlasmablasts​
    Contributesto Long-Term ProtectionagainstIntracellularBacterialInfection. J Immunol 186, 1011-1021​
    Prepublished online 8 http://www.jimmunol.org/content/186/2/1011 “Ourstudiesidentify a cellpopulationthatisresponsiblefortheIgMproduction in thebonemarrow, andtheyhighlight a novelroleforIgM in themaintenanceoflong-termimmunityduringintracellularbacterialinfection”.​
    And here are my results from a study of 50 chronic Lyme patients:​

40 % Seronegativity​
    28 % IgG-“Rest“-Titer​
    22 % IgM- andIgG-Persistence​
    10 % IsolatedIgM-Persistence​
    Best regards
    Armin
  14. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    GcMAF Australia

I know that is supposed to be English, but it is the kind of English that needs translation! :confused:

And you are a certified translator!

Soooo....

Sushi
  15. GcMAF Australia

er
    er..
    I think that this says that in 50 chronic patients
    40 had no antibodies
    28 had IGG
    22 had IgM and IgG
    10 had IGM

Remember Lyme has no rules , well maybe it does just dont know them yet.
    Or-
    There are known unknowns
    & unknown unknowns. ??/;)
  16. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    That is one tricky pathogen! 40 with no antibodies--there goes the most common testing....

Sushi
  17. Shoesies

Shoesies Senior Member

Holy Toledo!
  18. anniekim

anniekim Senior Member

U.K
    Thanks Gcmaf for that. One thing I don't understand the Seriburi study included in the list above seems to be a paper just warning that many people who don't have Lyme can have a false positive igm. This is my fear. Do you have any thoughts on that study?

If I had a much clearer positive, ie, a few positive igg bands, rather than one just one Lyme specific igm I.d think I'd feel more confident to try Lyme treatment. At the mo, I really don't know whether it's an avenue I should go down. Very confused at the mo.

Gcmaf, the figures you included above, from 50 patients etc.., which study is that in the list given above? Many thanks

EDIT:

please ignore last question, didn't read your post correctly, see it is the doctor's study
  19. merylg

merylg Senior Member

Sydney, NSW, Australia
  20. merylg

merylg Senior Member

Sydney, NSW, Australia

See more popular forum discussions.