New Atmosphere, New Vision: Gibson and Whittemore Kick Off Invest in ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry reports on Dr. Gibson's introduction and Dr. Whittemore's keynote speech, at the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Borderline Intracranial Hypertension Manifesting as CFS

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by MeSci, Nov 14, 2015.

1. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Cornwall, UK
    I've seen some threads on Intracranial Hypertension but couldn't find this one:
    Full text here.

Rlman, leela, CantThink and 8 others like this.
  2. Never Give Up

Never Give Up Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.

So interesting.

They looked at patients with "chronic fatigue" and headaches and found:

"Most of the patients we have investigated in this way have had intracranial pressures that fail to make the cut-off for IIH, but a number have been borderline and in some the intracranial hypertension has been unequivocal.[10] Regardless of the absolute value of the CSF pressure, however, we have found that most respond clinically to CSF withdrawal,[11] [12] an observation suggesting that a disturbance of intracranial pressure is a critical component of their clinical condition."

So far it seems like they have stented one patient.

"it is notable that the relief of symptoms after stenting was profound, yet there was only a minimal reduction in CSF pressure at follow-up."

"The unequivocally favorable outcome suggests that this is an area ripe for further study."

Go for it!

Lyratic, Hutan and L'engle like this.
  3. L'engle

L'engle moogle

Canada
    September of this year, out of Addenbrooks in Cambridge. I thought they were distancing themselves from CFS? (from another thread)

CantThink likes this.
  4. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Interesting .
    I found when my sinusitis would get bad my bp would go up eg 160/110 as well as intense frontal headaches and once on abx for a few days this would return back to normal .

Beginning of this year after shingles on side of my head my bp was 190 / 120 . I was then place on anti hypertensive meds . Recently read that one month after shingles there is an increased risk of strokes , which can correlate with high bp.

I wonder if high bp and intercranial pressure is somehow related to infections and possible scare tissue to structures in the brain like blood vessels etc???????

I think something also related is those who have hypertensive orthostatic intolerance ?

CantThink, maryb, MeSci and 2 others like this.
  5. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    Is intracranial hypertension reflected in hypertension in the body? There are numerous types of hypertension, and some appear to be limited to particular parts of the body (or head/brain in this case).

L'engle likes this.
  6. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)

Intercranial pressure is more specific to the brain i guess . Many things that can cause hypertension but with intercranial pressure, blood pressure can increase and can be a sign.

I know in acute head injuries blood pressure increase is one sign of raised intercranial pressure.

L'engle likes this.
  7. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    What causes intercranial hypertension?

L'engle likes this.
  8. L'engle

L'engle moogle

Canada
    Does anyone know of any other ME patients who have felt dramatically better after a lumbar puncture? Many people have had them to rule out MS etc.

9. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member

I doubt you would notice much if any improvement from a typical spinal tap, even if inter-cranial pressure were an issue.

The turnover of spinal fluid is actually pretty rapid. The average person has about 150 ml of CSF at any one time, but the body produced about 20-30 ml an hour. That's more than is usually taken in a spinal tap, so the shortfall would be replaced in less than an hour.

If there were improvement from a spinal tap it seems likely that it would be pretty brief. Continuously regulating pressure via a stent would be another matter.

I had a spinal tap about 2 months after onset and noticed no effect on my symptoms afterward.

[When my doctor did the spinal tap, he told me that, in the past, doctors used to drain all the spinal fluid. He chuckled and called that "barbaric."]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    L'engle likes this.
  10. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)
    Anything affecting blood vessels or fluid increase in brain can increase ICP. Inflammation from infections like shingles is a possibility

L'engle likes this.
  11. L'engle

L'engle moogle

Canada
    @Forbin In the article the patient in question was said to have a remission lasting 4 days after the lumbar puncture. That's all I'm going on. thanks for your info!

Forbin likes this.
  12. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member

Thanks @L'engle. I should have read the article more carefully.

In several places, I've seen it said that the CSF should be replaced in about an hour. On the other hand, I've found others that recommend drinking additional fluids for 24 hours to help replace what was lost.

I guess it's possible that this patient just took longer to return to her previous pressure - perhaps because it was slightly high (20 cm of H20 versus 18 cm [the high end of normal]). Or maybe the effects of the elevated pressure are somehow delayed.

As I mentioned, I personally had no benefit from lumbar puncture, but, unlike this patient, I did not have bad headaches at the time (although I would develop them a few months later).

L'engle likes this.
  13. DeGenesis

DeGenesis Senior Member

I wonder if some cases of low blood volume seen in PWME are an attempt by the body to prevent a further rise in intracranial pressure.

14. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)
    I think the tachycardia some get is a compensation for low blood pressure.
    Cfsme seems to be a mixed bag with orthostatic issue being hyper or hypotensive ?

L'engle likes this.
  15. Rlman

Rlman Senior Member

Toronto, Canada
    how did you find this article @MeSci ?

16. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    I can't remember!

Rlman likes this.
  17. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    I've remembered. It was a Yahoo email group. Most things posted there are also here, but that seems to have been a rare one that wasn't.

Rlman likes this.
  18. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

19. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)

See more popular forum discussions.