1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
August 8th - What is the one thing about suffering with severe ME that the world needs to know?
Andrew Gladman brings our coverage of the Understanding & Remembrance Day for Severe ME, airing the voice of patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Books on neuroscience & mind/body healing, harnessing placebo etc.?

Discussion in 'Alternative Therapies' started by Sasha, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I'm looking for books on science-based psychological practices for physical healing. There's good evidence from experiments, for example, that meditation helps the immune system and wound healing (Buddha's Brain, written by a neuropsychologist) so I have started meditating.

I've just ordered The Healing Mind by a professor of behavioural biology on psychoneuroimmunology (I don't know that he offers any suggestions for how to use it, though) and The Balance Within, by a neuroscientist (ditto on the suggestions).

Any recommendations? I'm not looking for general self-help, positive thinking stuff written by non-scientists or anything spiritual. I'm after experiment-based stuff written by scientists, especially stuff based on the last ten years of scientific research because that has been a very fast-moving period in neuroscience.
  2. baccarat

baccarat Senior Member

You may want to have a look at John Kabat-Zhin's books.
  3. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Hi baccarat - I've read Full Catastrophe Living by Kabat-Zinn and use his meditation CDs, which are very good. I found the book a bit long and over-repetitive but very good for convincing yourself that you need to be meditating!
  4. SickOfSickness

SickOfSickness Senior Member

US

See more popular forum discussions.