• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Book: "How to Read a Paper: The Basics of Evidence-Based Medicine" (available free online)

Tom Kindlon

How to Read a Paper: The Basics of Evidence-Based Medicine Paperback –
by Trisha Greenhalgh

I'm trying to increase my overall knowledge and understanding of scientific and medical matters so have been reading fewer ME/CFS papers and using the time and energy that has been freed up to read more general books.

I've just finished reading, "How to Read a Paper: The Basics of Evidence-Based Medicine" which Ben Goldacre had recommended in two of his books ("Bad Science" and "Bad Pharma"). This is a book that seems to be used in a lot of educational courses (undergraduate, postgraduate and continuing education). I thought it was interesting enough. I would have liked more information on some topics but she does give links to further books and papers.

I had picked up a lot of the ideas previously so didn't find it a demanding read. Possibly some people who are newer to the topics might want a few more examples than are given in some cases.

There are plenty of reviews of it here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Read-Paper-Evidence-Based-Medicine/dp/1444334360

A good thing about it is the second edition can be downloaded for free here: http://neurologiahu.ufsc.br/files/2...r_Evidence-Based-Medicine_Greenhalgh_2011.pdf

Denise

I'm trying to increase my overall knowledge and understanding of scientific and medical matters so have been reading fewer ME/CFS papers and using the time and energy that has been freed up to read more general books.

I've just finished reading, "How to Read a Paper: The Basics of Evidence-Based Medicine" which Ben Goldacre had recommended in two of his books ("Bad Science" and "Bad Pharma"). This is a book that seems to be used in a lot of educational courses (undergraduate, postgraduate and continuing education). I thought it was interesting enough. I would have liked more information on some topics but she does give links to further books and papers.

I had picked up a lot of the ideas previously so didn't find it a demanding read. Possibly some people who are newer to the topics might want a few more examples than are given in some cases.

There are plenty of reviews of it here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Read-Paper-Evidence-Based-Medicine/dp/1444334360

A good thing about it is the second edition can be downloaded for free here: http://neurologiahu.ufsc.br/files/2...r_Evidence-Based-Medicine_Greenhalgh_2011.pdf

I am glad you have enjoyed this book @Tom. I agree - it is good. :)

I re-read sections from time to time because I am no where near as good as you are when it comes to examining articles. o_O <-- that's me, reading articles.

Simon

Thanks for this inc the link to the pdf of the older version. Also of interest might be this BMJ page that links to the original articles behind individual chapters of that book:
How to read a paper | The BMJ

I thought this 2-page pdf of 'how to read a paper' for a Harvard univ course looked good too.

Finally, Vincent Racaniello ran a TwiV podcast How to read a scientific paper complete with transcript. From memory, the best suggestion I thought was to read the methods section, then skip the results write-up and head straight to the tables/graphs/figures, so that you interpret the result fresh for yourself. Then read how the authors describe things...

Tom Kindlon

Finally, Vincent Racaniello ran a TwiV podcast How to read a scientific paper complete with transcript. From memory, the best suggestion I thought was to read the methods section, then skip the results write-up and head straight to the tables/graphs/figures, so that you interpret the result fresh for yourself. Then read how the authors describe things...
From the Powerpoint file on this page:
- Do the authors ground each of their interpretations in the existing literature?
- Do the authors honestly discuss the strengths and limitations of their study?
I think the CBT and GET CFS studies tend to fall down in these areas.

Esther12

Her talk, 'Real vs Rubbish EBM' is on youtube:

It's there with a few others from an Evidence Live event. I've had them on in the background and found them interesting-ish. Thought others might be interested too.... easier than reading a book!