Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Book – Herding Hemingway's Cats – understanding how our genes work

Discussion in 'Genetic Testing and SNPs' started by voner, Apr 25, 2016.

1. voner

voner Senior Member

Herding Hemingway's Cats.... understanding how our genes work, Author is Kat Arney.

here is a book recommendation for anyone interested in what is being studied and learned about the genome, DNA, RNA, Micro RNA, transcription factors, etc. I do not have a background in biology, but I managed to be able to pretty much understand most of the book. it is detailed and complex, as is the subject. after reading this book and a few others it's become obvious to me that we have been woefully naïve about the genome and it is infinitely more complex than one could ever guess.

as far as this forum is concerned, the book never mentions the subject of "methylation". she does discuss in one chapter quite a bit about "DNA methylation". she only mentions "snps" once in passing, probably because one amino acid change to one "snp" can be such a insignificant and minor change in the vast majority of cases...

it's a 2016 book, so it's pretty up-to-date.

anybody else read it???

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  2. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem All Good Things Must Come to an End

Adding it to my ever-expanding reading list. :nerd:

3. voner

voner Senior Member

Here is another.... a wonderfully written genes & epigenetic's story. It written by Siddhartha Mukherjee, a medical doctor and a highly respected writer. I found this article pretty quite understandable while not dropping into the dreaded details of epigenetic's which can get overwhelming quickly. it's from this week's New Yorker magazine. hopefully, it's not behind a pay wall. It shows up for me – but I have a subscription also.

the basic story is that it is not just genes and snp's that determine traits and disease susceptibility, it's far, far more complicated than that.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/05/02/breakthroughs-in-epigenetics

See more popular forum discussions.