• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bogus failed morphine Intrathecal morphine pump trial? Please help need advise

Tired of being sick

I was looking online at my health record of tests,procedures,exams and office visits of what my health insurance actually paid for.

And was looking specifically at my 3 Intrathecal morphine pump trials.

Which was supposedly 3 different "pain pump trials" of trying different pain medicines out that could be used in the Intrathecal pump,which are specifically either Morphine,Hydro morphine or Fentanyl.

Each one of the 3 trials required a 24 hour observation stay at the hospital of each particular procedure..

My 1st trial was done at a big city hospital.
I had adverse reactions to the medicine causing urine retention and spinal headache..

My 2nd trial was done at a small city hospital where seeing the Amish walking the halls are the norm.
Again,I had adverse reactions/side effects to the medicine causing urine retention and spinal headache..
I ask one the nurses if this was common and she said yes Then I said more than 50% and she shook her head insinuating yes and much more!

My 3rd trial was done at the same small city hospital
And again,I had adverse reactions/side effects to the medicine causing urine retention and spinal headache..

Now back to the original topic

What was the differences of the 3 trials?

After looking at each of the trials and costs,I became extremely upset over what I've uncovered.
1st off
The 1st trial costs were 4 times the costs of the remaining 2 trials!
The 1st trial they used actual Morphine.
The remaining 2 trials they used epidural steroids!

In my eyes this is malpractice on every angle!

Steroids are definitely not supposed to be used in an "Intrathecal Morphine Pump Trial" as the at least the primary medicine

But somehow between the Doctor/provider and insurance company, they pulled these bogus trials off!

How can 3 different medicines cause the same adverse side effects?

What can I do?

Last edited:

Tired of being sick

"There comes a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can't take part, you can't even passively take part. And you've got to put your bodies on the gears, and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus. And you've got to make it stop"

Mario Savio

Tired of being sick

In all three tests they had to drain my urine via catheter

1st test, they used a "straight" catheter which was soooo painful (when it finally broke the barrier) that if it wouldn't of went through at that very moment I would have stopped them right then and there!And I actually told her this...

She was running back n forth scratching her head in panic mode,trying to find enough containers for my urine,Lol..

I said "is this a lot"
She said "yes!,this is the most I have ever seen"
After I was finally drained the urine total was 48oz or a quart n' uh' half!

2nd test was identical except for the urine total was 38oz

3rd test the 1st nurse tried to get a "straight" catheter to no avail.
So she called another nurse into the room, who failed as well.
I guess she gave up for awhile and left the room.
About another hour and a half went by,then she walked into the room accompanied
with I guess what you could call a "pee draining pro",Lol
She had a "curved" catheter lubed to the hilt.
Proceeded to insert and told me to breathe.
Next thing I know it was flowing like a river..

My point to this is:
No wonder all the other attempts were as painful as getting your finger nails ripped off with a pair of pliers!

And what has me pissed off the most about this horror I went through is the fact that it was all done in vain!!

If the trial was not bogus,the urine story wouldn't been so baaaadddd..