• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bodily stress syndrome "briefing document"

Dx Revision Watch

Suzy Chapman Owner of Dx Revision Watch
An update:

The "briefing document" by Dr Diane O'Leary which was the subject of this thread had been published on the website of ME Research UK on April 3. It had also been published on the Forward-ME website with no caveats in relation to statements made within that document.

On Monday, the document was removed from ME Research UK's website but remained on the site of Forward-ME.

Overnight, a "Communication from the Countess of Mar 9 April 2018" has been posted on the Forward-ME website.

I remain concerned about some of the statements made in this new document, which also reiterates misconceptions about the scope of the content of the current ICD-10 primary care publication (known as ICD-10 PHC) and the scope of the revision towards an ICD-11 PHC.

I also have concerns that the classification and terminology systems mandated for use in NHS clinical settings (ICD-10 core version and SNOMED CT) have not been set out. I have additional issues of concern within the "Communication from the Countess of Mar" and I do not intend to comment on the document at this point but may comment later.

The core edition of ICD-11 is planned to be frozen on May 30, in preparation for the release of an initial version in June. It will take several years for early implementers to evaluate, prepare and transition from ICD-10 to ICD-11. Member states will implement the new edition at their own pace and according to the requirements of their country's health systems. In the meantime, member states will continue to use ICD-10.

NHS Digital has yet to release a tentative timeline for the evaluation and potential transition to ICD-11 in primary and secondary care settings.

There has been no date publicly released by WHO for the completion and publication of the ICD-11 PHC primary care publication, which is being revised by an external workgroup chaired by Prof, Sir David Goldberg (who had led the drafting of the ICD-10 PHC); Vice-chairs: Dr Michael Klinkman, USA; Dr Geoffrey Reed, USA, seconded to the ICD Revision Project. The workgroup making recommendations is accountable to the WHO.

Suzy Chapman
Dx Revision Watch

Edited in February 2019 to add link. Note that the link for this document was taken off the Forward-ME landing page in September 2018 and there is no longer a link for the statement on any of the Forward-ME webpages:

Communication from the Countess of Mar 9 April 2018

http://www.forward-me.org.uk/Reports/Communication from the Countess of Mar regardng BSS.pdf

Last edited:

Dx Revision Watch

Suzy Chapman Owner of Dx Revision Watch
A revised document by Dr O'Leary has now been published on the website of ME Research UK. This is a substantial revision to the initial "briefing document" which was pulled on Monday.

This new document is entitled *IMMEDIATE ACTION NEEDED*

It had been my understanding that the presentation and (initial) briefing document delivered by Dr O'Leary at the 28 March Forward-ME meeting were intended to be discussed by Forward-ME org reps at the next Forward-ME meeting, to further discuss its content and what, if any, involvement Forward-ME might have by way of follow up.

Whilst the second Dr O'Leary document has undergone substantial revision, I remain concerned about some of the statements made within it and I am unable to support or circulate either the original document or the revised version published on 10 April.

Suzy Chapman
Dx Revision Watch