• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bob Miller wants your ideas for the spring FDA Stakeholders Meeting

jspotila

However they say they are not announcing the meeting date for "a few weeks"; Spring is coming up fast and it seems they will be about as short notice as CFSAC. This doesn't give us a lot of time for inviting experts and out-of-community advocates. I think this sort of short notice is substandard; jspotila or CBS do you know the answer to that?

I suspect that the standard required notice is 30 days or so. We typically get less than that for CFSAC meetings. A Federal Register notice will be published with all the details.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
jspotila - Hi Jenny! I was hoping you'd turn up on this thread - you've got such expertise in this kind of thing.

Didn't you link to someone's blog a little while back who wrote a very insightful piece about the reason that CFSAC wasn't very effective was that patients had lost the right to question speakers, so that departmental bods could spout a load of rubbish and get away with it unchallenged? I thought she had some very good points. She'd be a great contributor to preparing for this FDA meeting.

jspotila

I think you are talking about Mary Schweitzer, who posted a comment on my blog post about the CFSAC High Priority Recommendations.

And for those who haven't seen it, I wrote about the poor analogy between AZT and Ampligen. Bob and I exchanged some info in the comments, too.

The biggest challenge with NIH and Ampligen is that, unlike AZT which was in the public domain, Hemispherix owns the IP for Ampligen. NIH has requirements for the clinical trials it funds, and I've heard that they require companies to give up some of the IP rights on a treatment. Hemispherix may not be willing to do that.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
I suspect that the standard required notice is 30 days or so. We typically get less than that for CFSAC meetings. A Federal Register notice will be published with all the details.

thanks, Jennie. (30 days only? how are people with actual full-time jobs supposed to plan?)

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
However they say they are not announcing the meeting date for "a few weeks"; Spring is coming up fast and it seems they will be about as short notice as CFSAC. This doesn't give us a lot of time for inviting experts and out-of-community advocates. I think this sort of short notice is substandard; jspotila or CBS do you know the answer to that?

I had meant to tag CJB as the second person here.

snowathlete

I think there is some real promise here, but if you're a drug company and the FDA tells you that they are interested in drugs for the disease, that's great and all, but where do you start? You might put forward some drugs that might eleviate some symptoms like fatigue, but other that you probably don't know where to start.

Maybe we ask the FDA to review existing research on ME/CFS where medications were used. As an example - and that's all this is, as its something I happen to have been looking at recently - the arsenic derived drugs used by Dr Tarello some time ago.
I expect there are several medications that have been used in small research which showed promise but which then didn't get followed up...one of the reason why being that there was so little interest before.
It seems to me that there may be drugs out there that have already shown some potential benefit for some ME/CFS patients, so if the FDA looked at those and engaged with the manufacuters of those drugs then proper trials might actually happen, and maybe one of them would work out.